Unable to retrieve backup data files after my computer had to be restored

I am unable to open backup files
Tagged:

Answers

• Hello @jameszimmer53081

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having difficulties restoring your backup file. To better assist you more information is needed. For instance, are you getting any messages? Where is your backup file(s) located (local hard drive, external hard drive, cloud-based storage)? 

Please elaborate so that we may provide proper guidance. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jameszimmer53081 said: I am unable to open backup files
    what exactly do you mean ?
    Are you trying to RESTORE from a Quicken Backup file -
    or, are you trying to open them by clicking on them ?
    or, you can't find them on your hard drive ?
    or, ???

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Rigg
    Rigg Member
    Where do I find my backup files? Are they in the Cloud or where? My computer just had to be restored and I have no files for Quicken.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @rigg  are you using Windows or Mac?   Your backups are wherever you saved them.  In Windows they end in .qdf-backup.   If they were kept on your computer they may be gone too.   When the computer was restored did your files get restored too?   You don't have your current file?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please read and follow instructions for either Quicken for Windows or Quicken Mac as needed:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    If your computer was "restored"...meaning that your hard drive was wiped clean and your operating system was re-installed, your backup files that were on your computer are gone as well.  

Your only hope is if you use an external drive and backed up files there...or use a cloud drive such as Dropbox or OneDrive and backed up files to there.

Using Quicken's Sync to Mobile doesn't backup your Quicken data file.  It is but a small subset of your Quicken data and can't be used as a backup.  
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Rigg said:Where do I find my backup files? My computer just had to be restored and I have no files for Quicken.
    Well, if your computer was restored -
    what does that mean .... the hard disk was replaced or what ?
    And... did you have to re-install Quicken, or was it already there ?
    Lots of details missing.....
    depending upon what was "restored" - the Quicken files are hiding, or they are totally GONE.
    Did you make any backups of your Quicken data ? ...
    Were the backups made just to the local disk - or to external "safe place".... USB drive, virtual cloud, etc
    [EDIT] - also updated topic title to better reflect actual Q&A
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rigg said: Where do I find my backup files? Are they in the Cloud or where?
    nope -

The Quicken Cloud stores and transmits your information between Quicken Desktop, Quicken Mobile, and Quicken on the Web.  A Quicken Cloud account is automatically created when you create a Quicken ID, but you do not have to use it. 

Also, the Quicken Cloud is not a backup;
    you can't restore Quicken data from the Quicken Cloud, and you can't access the Quicken Cloud from anywhere except the desktop and mobile Quicken products.  If you're looking for a cloud backup service for Quicken, please see this information about Dropbox and Quicken.

This discussion has been closed.