Can I re-classify the type of Reminder?

I attempt to use the Reminder feature of Quicken a lot to help me remember to pay credit cards and also other recurring payments. I do not use Quicken Bill Pay, these are all reminders to either prompt me or automatically enter them into my registers. The credit cards, cable, cellphones, etc, are set to autopay full balance or amount due via the credit card websites. My mortgages and other items are set to autopay from my Bank Billpay feature. So these are all "Reminders" within Quicken.

Now to the point of my question- they are categorized differently as either 'expense' 'income' 'transfer' but a lot of them are wrong. For instance, one that is set up to be an autoreminder for a Credit Card bill and set to estimate the amount based upon register balance is showing in the list as an 'Income' Reminder, but it works properly to show that I will be paying an amount from my Checking to that credit card.

Is there a way to go into the backend or some other way to modify the "type" or "classification" of these reminders? I am not seeing any obvious way to do it within the Windows UI. And I am about 75% sure I selected the right type to begin with, but when doing the reminder details it changed it. And I don't want to have to delete all of them and recreate them if there is a better way.
Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, as long as it works, leave it alone.
    The programmers seem to have made some changes to the internal workings of reminders, especially ones involving transfers. Old reminders created before these changes may look weird, but as long as they still work, I would leave them alone.
    Deleting and redefining would be the only way at this time.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I agree that something appears to have been changed by the programmers wrt Bill and Income Reminders which involve transfers.  It used to be that when I would set up a Bill or Income Reminder with a transfer involved it would show up in the originating account register (I have my accounts set up to show Reminders in the registers) as a transfer to/from the other account and in the other account it would show up as a transfer from/to the originating account.  Now it shows up in the originating account as a transfer to/from the other account but in the other account it shows up as a transfer to/from itself...however the account balances in both accounts reflect the transfer accurately.  When the reminder is later entered into the registers the transfer categories then show up correctly in both accounts.  Weird.  I just started noticing this odd behavior not long ago and it does happen with both old and new Bill and Income Reminders.

This does not happen with Transfer Reminders which makes it even weirder.  But Transfer Reminders do have some differences from Bill and Income Reminders so maybe that has something to do with it.
    From my perspective the labeling of Reminders as Bill or Income is a bit of a misnomer.  The real determining factor as to which a Reminder is has more to do with the Reminder's originating account and whether money is being transferred into or out of it and whether the dollar amount is a negative number or a positive number.  For instance, if a Reminder originates with a checking account to pay a cc account a negative amount is being transferred from your checking account so it really is a Bill Reminder for the checking account.  But if the Bill Reminder originates with the cc account, a positive number is entered into the reminder to transfer money into the cc account from the checking account which in reality makes it a cc account Income Reminder.  Both have the same impact to the account register balances regardless of which account you set the Reminder up with. 
    So, if it works in the Registers correctly and in the reports and in Projected Balances why try to change it?  I just let them be and I have Bills & Income set to "Combine Bills, Income and Transfers" so I see them all in the same list.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R37.66 on Windows 10)