Track consumption of auto fuel, home heating oil/propane usage

This is something I've been wanting for several years, namely the ability flag a quicken "register" to track the volume amount (litres) associated with an expense value per transaction entered. This would be used for things like auto fuel, propane tank refills, and home heating oil tank refills.

Also, the ability to add the field containing these amounts to a report so that I can see this volume amount over a defined reporting period.

This would help greatly in identifying if consumption is increasing abnormally or to just identify in general if consumption is increasing or decreasing due to other factors.
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't that be what a spreadsheet is for?

Alternatively, you can add details in the MEMO field of a transaction, but reports with this info and data manipulation would be difficult.

I'd say a spreadsheet is the way to go, rather than cluttering up Quicken.  What's next?  How many eggs did I buy? 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken has no knowledge of Liters (or, even what a liter is). BUT, you can easily track what you spend on auto fuel, etc.
    OR, you can create pseudo accounts and track fuel purchases at $1 = 1 Liter.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    NotACPA said:
    Quicken has no knowledge of Liters (or, even what a liter is). BUT, you can easily track what you spend on auto fuel, etc.
    OR, you can create pseudo accounts and track fuel purchases at $1 = 1 Liter.

I don't think this captures what @godreaudg is looking for.  I also think that @garysmith87 is right that a spreadsheet might be the way to go, because I don't see how Quicken could properly do this.

It isn't the just recording of gallons.  It is recording the fact that 10 gallons were bought for $40, and (this is the really hard part) report on it in a meaningful way.

If one looks at their gas expenses for one month and they are $100, and then the next month they are $150 there isn't any way to tell is that increase is because of driving more or inflation or both.

Not only is there no way to really enter this into Quicken, there isn't any kind of report that would be able to show this kind of relationship.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2021
    @godreaudg  Just spit-balling here...

1.   Create a manual investment account
    2.   Set display attributes of new investment account as "separate" as to not effect net worth et al
    3.   Setup a dummy security for each type of product you wish to track and disallow downloads
    4.   In the investment account, create a new register transaction each time you buy fuel oil, gas, LP or whatever.   Use price for "cost per unit",   shares for "number of units" et al.
    5.  Use investment transaction reports to see unit purchases, volumes, cost per units et al. Image.

Play around with this approach and see what you can do with the existing functionality of quicken.  This is not unlike how I and others track things like gold buys and sells, but for non-financial items.

Of course, this may require you to do extra entries to track category and cost of the items you are buying in your actual spending accounts.  But maybe, you can find the right investment transaction to categorize and transfer the cost from this "tracker" to your spending register with the proper category and overall cost???

Additional thought.....along with the manual investment account, don't forget you can also setup a linked checking account (a spending account) as well.    Don't know if this gets you any further down the road though!

Play around with this concept....