Allow quicken to operate without Internet

Studpup
Studpup Windows Beta Beta
Today there is an "internet outage" (see https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7903733/resolved-12-15-21-widespread-internet-issues-impacting-quicken#latest )

I got a message in quicken that Quicken services were unavailable, check back in 10 minutes.

I closed quicken but when I reopened it, I just got a white box in the middle of the screen and if I pressed 'x' to close it, quicken wouldn't respond (screen grayed out). Had to terminate with task manager "Quicken Windows 32 Not Responding" and tried again, same thing. All other applications were working fine. Rebooted, same thing again. 

Perhaps allow quicken to operate normally if it's "checked in/license check" within the past x days or something? Thanks!

Quicken 27.1.37.37
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.1415]

I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
9 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Makes you wonder if Quicken Inc ever goes "belly up" and the servers get shut down...what then?
  • Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
     garysmith87 said:
    Makes you wonder if Quicken Inc ever goes "belly up" and the servers get shut down...what then?
    That would be a problem. I guess we'd all go back to lots of spreadsheets? (It's how I did things before I discovered quicken for dos)

I've used Quicken when disconnected from the Internet, so I know that piece works. Maybe the program just has simplistic "connected or not connected" check, and doesn't allow for the computer to be connected to the internet but quicken services aren't accessible? It's probably a pretty rare situation so I don't expect much effort to be spent planning that contingency. 

I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here are my general observations on this.

The last truly offline Quicken version was Quicken 2013.  All versions after that use a Quicken Id that has to be "logged in".  At a minimum that means logging in once to install on a new machine.  Which clearly means that if the Quicken servers go away, so does your ability to install/run on a new machine.  This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Going past this what it means to be logged in/verified as far as that Quicken Id goes.
    Clearly on Quicken Subscription (and I believe this true all the way back to Quicken 2014) that they are connecting at start up to the Quicken servers, and doing "checks".  If something fails at this point you are put into a "needs to login" state, and from what I have seen, once your machine is in that state you can't get it out of that state without logging in again.

So, what does the "you can use Quicken offline" really mean?

If you had disabled your network (or used Airplane Mode) Quicken would have worked fine.  In other words, if it can't contact the Quicken server it goes into offline mode, but if it can, then it is going to check that everything like your subscription and Quicken Id are OK.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/