Not able to connect to Chevron Federal Credit Union

Patrick
Patrick Member ✭✭
Hi, Chevron Federal Credit Union has a recent upgrade to their digital banking in early Dec 2021. Ever since that has happened, I am no longer able to connect Quicken to Chevron Federal Credit Union. Before the upgrade I was using the direct connect (which was the only method to connect with quicken).

I have disactivated the account on Quicken and tried to reactive it with Chevron Federal Credit Union today, and I got the error (tried it a few times already).

"Caught Exception in invoke().java.lang.NullPointerException"

Also attached screenshot.

Comments

• Patrick said:
    Hi, Chevron Federal Credit Union has a recent upgrade to their digital banking in early Dec 2021. Ever since that has happened, I am no longer able to connect Quicken to Chevron Federal Credit Union. Before the upgrade I was using the direct connect (which was the only method to connect with quicken).

I have disactivated the account on Quicken and tried to reactive it with Chevron Federal Credit Union today, and I got the error (tried it a few times already).

"Caught Exception in invoke().java.lang.NullPointerException"

Also attached screenshot.
    Hello Patrick,

I am sorry you are experiencing this frustrating issue. Have you tried looking for a spot to enable third-party application downloads on Chevron Federal Credit Union's website?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭
    There is not any option for me to enable third-party application downloads on Chevron Federal Credit Union's website. I spoke to the Chevron Technical support a moment ago, and he told me that Quicken should still be able to use Direct Connect to download the transactions from Chevron Federal Credit Union. He told me to contact Quicken regarding this Error.
  • Patrick said:
    There is not any option for me to enable third-party application downloads on Chevron Federal Credit Union's website. I spoke to the Chevron Technical support a moment ago, and he told me that Quicken should still be able to use Direct Connect to download the transactions from Chevron Federal Credit Union. He told me to contact Quicken regarding this Error.
    Patrick, 

Java errors of this kind are runtime errors that occur when an object in the application is referenced as a null value. It's not a typical Quicken error code that can be tested with operations like signing out of Quicken and signing back in, or deactivating and reactivating accounts. 

If there doesn't appear to be any button to enable third-party access, then we will proceed in a different way. When you go into 'Accounts' in the upper menu at the top of the screen, and you select 'Update All Online Accounts,' do you see any other error messages in the Account Status window that appears?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared, I got the last word from the Chevron Federal Credit Union that their new system no longer supports Direct Connect.
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @Patrick

Thank you for reaching out to us with your update, though I apologize for the trouble. 

Chevron Federal Credit Union told you that they no longer support a Direct Connect link with Quicken? This is very unfortunate to hear, though we appreciate you letting us know. 

If you have any other questions or require any additional support, please reach out so that we may assist you further. Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • I have been fighting this as well. All we can do is manually use the Export/Quicken button one account at a time to export transactions, and the first time per account Quicken will allow you to link it to an existing Quicken account. However, it's a Chevron export to Quicken, and the enhanced connect which allows Quicken to access our accounts directly online is gone. I am extremely unhappy with this decision because I have been monitoring my, my grandkids' and my sons' accounts for DECADES with Quicken. I'm guessing it was a "security" issue and/or a way to save money since Chevron had to pay for anything other than what they have now. I've been a Quicken user for 25 years and this is not good.
  • Quicken September
    Hi, @jeffreymathews!

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to add to this discussion. I am very sorry to hear this change has been inconveniencing you as well! I am sure many other Quicken/Chevron customers are experiencing this unfortunate change as well.

If Chevron made this change, the only thing we can really suggest is letting them know how this is inconveniencing you. If Chevron was made aware of the inconvenience that discontinuing Direct Connect with us is causing their customers, perhaps they might come back.

Interestingly enough, in our bank list it looks like this discontinuation hasn't been updated in our system - Direct Connect still seems to be an option. Perhaps they still have the framework for their past connection with us still? Again, we apologize for any trouble and hope, for your sake, that they decide to bring back support for Direct Connect. If you have any other questions or require additional support, please reach out as we are always happy to help. Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Hi Quicken Support,

Chevron Federal Credit Union recently posted this FAQ. Does it mean that Quicken is currently working with Chevron Federal Credit Union to re-enable Direct Connect feature?

Q. I am not able to connect my Credit Union accounts to my Personal Finance app or program (Quicken, for example). How do I fix that?

A. Some outside apps and programs have not yet updated their connection to our new Digital Banking experience. We are working to correct this issue with each vendor as quickly as possible.

Thank you
    Patrick
  • Hi @Patrick,

Thank you for your response. Seeing as this is something that would be located on Chevron Federal Credit Union's side, we can not tell you for sure that they are speaking about re-engaging direct connect with Quicken until they make that announcement and physically reinstate with us. I would keep an eye on the Financial Institution's website and FAQs to see if anything changes in regards to this subject. 

Thank you, 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Chevron Federal Credit Union has additional FAQ posted regarding Quicken. Looks like there may hope that it will work again eventually. (just tried today and still getting error.)

Also got the response from the CFCU in email, read below.
    ------
    We are currently working with Quicken to resolve an issue with the URL pointing to an incorrect location.

Our new Digital Banking experience, launched on December 6, 2021, does not include a direct interface with Quicken. You will need to establish a new connection from within Quicken, either by connecting directly using your Digital Banking credentials or by downloading a file from Digital Banking and importing it into Quicken.

WINDOWS INSTRUCTIONS

Deactivate your existing Credit Union connection:
    Choose Tools > Account List
    Click Edit on the account to deactivate
    In Account Details, click Online Services
    Click Deactivate. Follow prompts to confirm deactivation
    Click the General tab
    Delete Financial Institution and Account Number information. Click OK to close window
    Repeat steps for any additional accounts that apply

Re-establish the Digital Banking connection for your accounts

Option 1: Direct Connect or Express Web ConnectChoose Tools > Account List
    Click Edit on the account you want to activate
    In Account Details, click Online Services and then choose Set up Now
    Type the Credit Union’s name in the search field and click Next
    Enter your Digital Banking credentials
    Ensure you associate the accounts to the appropriate accounts already listed in Quicken. Select Link to an existing account and select the matching accounts in the drop-down menu.

Important: Do NOT choose “Create a new account” unless you intend to add a new account to Quicken. If you are presented with accounts you do not want to track in this data file, choose Ignore – Don’t Download into Quicken or click Cancel.

After all accounts have been matched, click Next and then Done.

Option 2: Web ConnectDownload a Quicken Web Connect file from Digital Banking using the Export/Quicken link for each account/share
    In Quicken, choose File > File Import > Web Connect (.QFX) File
    Use the import dialog to select the Web Connect file you downloaded. An “Import Downloaded Transactions” window opens
    Choose Link to an existing account. Select the matching account in the drop-down menu. Associate the imported transactions to the correct account listed in Quicken
    Repeat this step for each account you have connected to the Credit Union
  • Quicken September
    Hello, @Patrick

Thank you for your update. I apologize for the trouble, however, I am glad to hear this is a known issue and is being resolved. 

"We are currently working with Quicken to resolve an issue with the URL pointing to an incorrect location..."

"Our new Digital Banking experience, launched on December 6, 2021, does not include a direct interface with Quicken. You will need to establish a new connection from within Quicken, either by connecting directly using your Digital Banking credentials or by downloading a file from Digital Banking and importing it into Quicken."

This information is very useful in understanding this issue. Please feel free to update the thread with any other updates that come up for this issue or if you receive any additional information as it may help others with similar issues. Thank you and have a great day!

-Quicken September
  • Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    after the update by CFCU, I reset my accounts and connected all to the new system (my 3 accounts and my children's 7 accounts).  I was updating my accounts for 3 weeks and then just this past weekend (month's end) I started getting OL-295-A error and a message that said to contact my FI.  Am currently on hold with someone on the phone who does not seem to know much or have much to say other than that everything is ok with my account.  I have deactivated my checking account and tried to reset, but did not delete the account name / number info.  Went back, did that and it went a few steps further, asked me if I wanted Direct Connect or Web Connect (said Web Connect would download a file).  tried Direct Connect and got error message.  Maybe will go back later and try the Web Connect, but not right now.  Not very happy with the new site for my bank.
  • Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    after the update by CFCU, I reset my accounts and connected all to the new system (my 3 accounts and my children's 7 accounts).  I was updating my accounts for 3 weeks and then just this past weekend (month's end) I started getting OL-295-A error and a message that said to contact my FI.  Am currently on hold with someone on the phone who does not seem to know much or have much to say other than that everything is ok with my account.  I have deactivated my checking account and tried to reset, but did not delete the account name / number info.  Went back, did that and it went a few steps further, asked me if I wanted Direct Connect or Web Connect (said Web Connect would download a file).  tried Direct Connect and got error message.  Maybe will go back later and try the Web Connect, but not right now.  Not very happy with the new site for my bank.
    have reset the account -- deleted the account number / FI name info in the details and then setup online, selecting the web connect option.  Accounts are now updating, no error messages.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭
    @Beijing Mac Are you saying you are now able to connect Quicken to Chevron FCU directly? I just tried it twice and still getting error. Web Connect requires us to log on to the Chevron FCU website and download a file and import that file into Quicken manually. Do you mean the Express Web Connect which allows you to connect from Quicken to Chevron FCU directly, without needing to logon to Chevron FCU website and download the file.
    Thanks,
    Patrick
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭
    @Beijing Mac I have tried it several times for the last week, but still not able to connect from Quicken to Chevron FCU. When you set up the online connection, did you select Chevron FCU?
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭
    @Beijing Mac When I tried to set it up, it didn't give me option to select "Express Web Connect"
  • dendellavolpe
    dendellavolpe Member
    edited January 24
    Thanks for all the help! I'm up and running again with one step CFCU downloads by deactivation and removal of all CFCU banking details for each bank account.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭
    I am still getting error even I have tried the steps by deactivation and removal of all CFCU banking details for each bank account. Can someone from Quicken Support help?
This discussion has been closed.