Unable to Start Quicken

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Quicken will not start.

Comments

• ploersch
    ploersch Member
    My Quicken will not start. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with latest updates without success.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @ploersch,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a response yet.

If you haven't already, I recommend that you perform a clean uninstall/reinstall (this is different from simply uninstalling and reinstalling the program) which will clear out and replace the existing configuration files for Quicken (this does not affect any of your data and/or backup files).

To do so, please refer to this support article and scroll down to the section titled If the steps above do not resolve the issue. Then, open and follow the instructions found in the blue dropdown sections titled First: Download and use QCleanUI and Second: Rename Quicken Shared Folders.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • SBSuzi
    SBSuzi Member
    I had the same thing happen on 9-2-21. Using the support article you recommend, I clean installed and reinstalled the program several times to no avail. Finally, on 9-12-21 it opened with no problem. In the meantime, I updated my Quicken data on my husband's computer and had to use his until the program opened on my main computer.

On 12-15-2, it stopped opening again. Should Quicken be addressing this problem? I've used Quicken forever and this is extremely frustrating, especially at year-end.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that Quicken is not starting at all and it's just the Quicken window is minimized? Is there a Quicken icon in the Taskbar?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • ch2125
    ch2125 Member ✭✭
    I'm having a similar problem after purchasing Deluxe last night. When I open Quicken I get a window that has a red circle with an X in it and a close button. No message. I've tried reinstalling and clean reinstalling. Not happy with the product.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ch2125

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. To better assist you more information is needed. For instance, what version of Windows are you running? Do you have any antivirus software installed (apart from Windows Defender)? 

Also, if you could, please attach a screenshot. For instructions on attaching a screenshot click here. Please note that you may need to drag the image file into the response box. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • ch2125
    ch2125 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2
    Windows 10 Home Version 10.1.19044. Running Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. All with the latest patches. A snapshot of the window is attached. The Quicken version is 27.1.36.57.

• Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    @ch2125,

Thank you for visiting the Community and adding to this discussion. 

Please disable Malwarebytes and try again. If that does not resolve the issue, also disable any VPN, Firewall, or Anit-Virus one by one and see if any of those things may be causing this issue as well. 

Do let us know how this goes!

Thank you.

Quicken Alyssa

• ch2125
    ch2125 Member ✭✭
    I tried disabling the VPN and Malwarebytes. That didn't work. The firewall can't be disabled from the user account I normally use. I have learned that Quicken starts up from an Administrator account with my security programs running. I need a solution that works from an unprivileged account.
  • Quicken Alyssa
    @ch2125,

Unfortunately, the "run as admin" option doesn't work to run Quicken. Therefore I think you need to be using the administrator user on the computer to avoid issues accessing Quicken and the Quicken files associated. 

The Super Users may have other solutions or workarounds, but from a moderator's position, we do not advise on things like this, as they are out of our scope. Hopefully one of the SUs will chime in here. If not I would suggest contacting an IT department that is familiar with Quicken to get this set up in a way that fits your needs. 

Sorry I personally cannot be of more help than that. 

Quicken Alyssa

• ch2125
    ch2125 Member ✭✭
    I avoid routinely using the Administrator account as a security measure. QCleanUI revealed some interesting info when I ran it before a normal uninstall. Where can I find these parameters to correct them?

Show Installed Info:
    --------------------------------------
    Version Installed : Quicken
    Version Number : 27
    Year : 2018
    Install Dir :[Registry]: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\
    Install Dir :[Installer]: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
    --------------------------------------
    Start Menu Path : C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
    StartUp Path : C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
    Common StartUp Menu Path : C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
    Common Desktop Path : C:\Users\Public\Desktop\
    User Desktop Path : C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\
    Common AppData Path : C:\ProgramData\Quicken
    Internet Client Path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Quicken\Internet Client
    AppData Roaming Path : C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Quicken
  • Quicken Alyssa
    @ch2125,

Have you tried uninstalling Quicken and then installing it while you are logged in under the secondary user? It seems to me that it should ask for Administrator permission for the installation and then install it under the secondary user, which would change those parameters. 

It wouldn't be a bad idea to run the full QCleanUI process before reinstalling it as well.

Quicken Alyssa

• ch2125
    ch2125 Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Alyssa" said:
    > @ch2125,
    >
    > Have you tried uninstalling Quicken and then installing it while you are logged in under the secondary user? It seems to me that it should ask for Administrator permission for the installation and then install it under the secondary user, which would change those parameters. 
    >
    > It wouldn't be a bad idea to run the full QCleanUI process before reinstalling it as well.
    >
    >
    >
    > Quicken Alyssa

I started out installing it from the user account. Installing directly from the Administrator account leaves the parameters in the same configuration. I've run QCleanUI several times.
  • Quicken Alyssa
    @ch2125,

Ya, I really don't think Quicken can even be run from a secondary user. If I remember correctly, doing this will result in a message asking you to run as admin, and when you select this option it tells you that Quicken does not support the run as admin option. 

I will reach out to a SU to advise you on this because as I mentioned before, this is really outside of a Quicken Moderator's scope of assistance. 

Again, I apologize for not being able to help you any further with this. Hopefully, I can find a SU that can help you out. 

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just following along....   I always run as a Windows Limited User - and then can reply NO to when Quicken wants to auto-install updates without asking nicely....   I've never had any problems running any programs as a Limited User.
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • ch2125
    ch2125 Member ✭✭
    Turns out "Run as administrator" worked for me. I still don't want to do that routinely but it led to the actual fix. I checked the properties on qw.exe and saw that it had installed in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode. After I shut that off I could start the program from my user account.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ch2125

Thank you for your response. We are glad that you were able to resolve your issue. If you come across any other errors or have questions please let us know.

-Quicken Paloma
This discussion has been closed.