Quicken And Charles Schwab Investments

I have stopped using One Step Update with Schwab accounts because Quicken won't download the transactions. Also, I had to change my login password to Schwab and then Quicken wanted me to reauthorize the Schwab accounts but all Quicken did was loop with the reauthorize message. I've had enough with One Step Update for Schwab. It's easier to manually enter the transactions.

Comments

• JonCaddy
    JonCaddy Member ✭✭
    I have been experiencing the same issues since 11/15/2021. Not resolved. Please do not close this post until the problem is resolved.
  • quicken has also duplicated all my accounts. new accounts have 0 balances
  • Ditto. my accounts still will not update.
  • This is a nightmare having multiple Schwab accounts and after I deactivate and then activate, it kicks all my Fidelity accounts into error and I have to deactivate and activate them and it still does not work. This has really been going on for too long.
  • Yossarian
    Yossarian Member ✭✭
    Thought the Schwab issues were resolved earlier this month. However, today One Step Update will not download our Schwab investment account transactions. Attempted to reset accounts, which resulted in a do-loop and termination of program. Will this never end?
  • Richard Troy
    Richard Troy Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    My similar problems started on December 17th; they are described in another thread:  "Should we revert to R36.54 from R37l37?"
    Until there's resolution, I'll be discontinuing Schwab download attempts.
  • erwiest
    erwiest Member ✭✭
    Same issue--but, as noted by others elsewhere, the problem account is another "living trust" accessed through a "Schwab Alliance" page. What to do?
  • Mart65
    Mart65 Member ✭✭
    Painful. Like many, I've spent hours the past 4-weeks trying to resolve the linkage with Schwab. Starting to look for alternative software solutions. How can I get a refund of my annual service fee which renewed in November?
  • 2 accounts that use Express Web Connect+ are no longer downloading..Again.
    This is really frustrating. Updated Quicken and it did not help.
  • Texas Ed
    Texas Ed Member ✭✭
    I've likewise spent many hours trying to resolve this to no avail. Two weeks ago I posted that I was going to manual entry of Schwab transactions through the end of the year for tax purposes. I flagged numerous discussions and for a day or two I would get notices whenever anyone posted to the flagged discussions...then the notices stopped and now I can't locate the discussions I flagged.

This morning, I rec'd notice of a new update available and I was hoping perhaps that would fix things, so I updated my database, validated it, saved a copy and was preparing to download the new update...but it's not there anymore and Quicken says I have the latest update (R37.25).

It does not sound from these posts that anything has improved in the last few weeks, but if that's not correct, I'd appreciate if someone would post on this discussion and give me a link that will clue me in on how to proceed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Texas Ed said:
    I've likewise spent many hours trying to resolve this to no avail. Two weeks ago I posted that I was going to manual entry of Schwab transactions through the end of the year for tax purposes. I flagged numerous discussions and for a day or two I would get notices whenever anyone posted to the flagged discussions...then the notices stopped and now I can't locate the discussions I flagged.

This morning, I rec'd notice of a new update available and I was hoping perhaps that would fix things, so I updated my database, validated it, saved a copy and was preparing to download the new update...but it's not there anymore and Quicken says I have the latest update (R37.25).

It does not sound from these posts that anything has improved in the last few weeks, but if that's not correct, I'd appreciate if someone would post on this discussion and give me a link that will clue me in on how to proceed.
    Here is a link to the latest patch release R37.62, and the release notes:
    Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • For @"Texas Ed": I'm using R37.62 and having the same issue. One-Step updates don't throw any errors, but nothing downloads.
  • rhwolf
    rhwolf Member
    Please let everyone know when you plan to sort out the Schwab connection issues. I was hoping to use Quicken to manage my finances for 2022. Without Schwab connection, many transactions will need to entered manually. I am not paying a subscription fee for that level of service. Please advice on when you anticipate having this fixed, or whether I should use another software tool and save the subscription fee with Quicken.
  • Texas Ed
    Texas Ed Member ✭✭
    Thanks Chris, Jedi I'll probably update over the Jan 1 weekend. I'm about done with tax planning and can update all transactions through the end of the year and "close out" the year, print out everything I need, etc. After two weeks of repeated trials over the first two weeks of December, it's been good to forget about this through the second half of the month.

Should have time to play around with other systems to see if there's something else I could use instead of Quicken to satisfy my needs. Offhand, I'm not sure there is one that does everything Quicken does. Can also consider leaving Schwab as it seems Fidelity accounts are not having similar problems. Don't want to do that, but it's an option I must consider.
  • TkdBob
    TkdBob Member
    Same issue. Been trying to fix since mid November. Is Quicken technical close to resolving?
  • Richard Troy
    Richard Troy Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    This is a follow-on to my comment above and my two entries on the "Should we revert to R36.54 from R37l37?" thread.  I resolved my issues by restoring a 12/18 file.  With the new updates, I had no issues deactivating and reactivating.  I then ran down transaction discrepancies.  On 12/10 and 12/15, three mutual fund reinvestment transactions were downloaded erroneously as buys, thus not affecting equity totals while upsetting cash balances.  The only other issue I noted was the download of erroneous cash basis data for some Vanguard funds.  I note that, in September, I transferred all my accounts from Vanguard to Schwab.  As my prior Vanguard data is still resident in Quicken, I assume the issue lies there.  Otherwise, I'm back on track.  
  • lz7rdg
    lz7rdg Member
    I have version 37.64 and I find that Schwab investment transactions do not download when using One Step but if I go to any one of several Schwab investment accounts in Quicken and download using the gear towards the top right, they all download in one session. No doubt something is still wrong with this fly-by-night rollout but maybe this will help the Quicken Wizards.
  • guymat1
    guymat1 Member
    I am still unable to download info and update info from Chas Schwab. I have tried to install the newest patch QW27.1.37.65MPatch, but it gives an error. I have had to manually enter all transactions since the middle of November. Was on the telephone with Quicken for more than 2 hours and still had no solution. Time to hire some new IT people I suspect.
  • texag
    texag Member ✭✭
    I too was having Schwab connection and download issues until the last week or so. I'm not sure what changed but I can now connect every time and transactions download. THe remaining issue is that transactions do not come down in the right category - i.e. Reinvsh vs ReinvL etc. I have to check Schwab history and correct the transaction type.
  • Texas Ed
    Texas Ed Member ✭✭
    I bit the bullet and installed the latest Mondo patch, which upgrade my version to R37.62. Here are my results in hopes someone can make sense of this mixed bag. (4 Schwab accts averaging 100 transactions per month). Pardon the length of the message.

1. After patch install, I deactivated and reactivated Schwab accts to EWC, no problem. Resulted in abt 300 transactions (art 95% match), which I wen through and deleted as my acts were all updated.

2. Checked each acct via bringing up the register and then asking Quicken to "Reconcile Shares" and the program for each acct said they matched.

3. Checked each register to see if cash balance matched and all did except my IRA acct (which is the largest of the group with approx 95% of my transactions and $$ and holding). The cash balance was orders of magnitude off in the register (higher). Curiously, when looking a the totals at the last line of the register, it showed the Securites value to be equally off to the downside and the two totaled to the correct amount. Other acts are fine.

4. Went to the Investing tab, portfolio view and all accounts, including the IRA show correct holding, correct securities value, correct cash balance.

5. Clicked back to register view and tried to explore what the difference, but that is such a daunting task with 15 years of transactions form when I retired in 2007 and set up IRA. Some things looked fishy back in 2007 with initial creation of the IRA,, but I'll need to view the saved (R37.25) version to compare, so save up on work for the day. Closed Quicken.

6. Opened Quicken this am, no transactions download so can't test that yet, but went back to IRA register again and asked Quicken to "Reconcile Shares". Oops, now they don't match like they did before I closed the program, and it shows the Shares in Quicken to be correct, but the Shares Reported to match up with the holdings in another of my Schwab Accts (these two account IDs end in the same 3 numbers). The totals in the bottom of the IRA register are the same as yesterday and the other three account registers are all correct. Investing/Portfolio view is still correct for all 4 accounts.

In summary, this is now the same result I had last month when I went through this with one exception, I can't tell whether this attempt will results in improved ability to download new transactions yet, because there are no new transaction to download, probably will be tomorrow.

I went through all this in hopes it may give someone a close to what's happening with this. I'll be back as I learn more.
  • Texas Ed
    Texas Ed Member ✭✭
    Just to clarify, the change in the answer Quicken gave to the query "Reconcile Shares" for my IRA; the only difference between the two queries was that I closed the program, shut down the PC and started it back up the next morning. I did not go online to Schwab in between those two tests, so I don't know why the "Shares Reported" changed.
  • rbw-1
    rbw-1 Member
    Reconcile Issues; Incorrect Dividends

The issue of reconciling shares remains unsolved for me, as does an issue relating to dividends. The Quicken register window shows the correct number of shares, matching what is shown on Schwab's website. But the "Reconcile Shares" window shows incorrect position information; there is no logic to the discrepancies (ie, no extra buys or sells, etc. Just random differences in shares held). Is that Schwab sending bad data, or Quicken misinterpreting what Schwab is sending?

Downloading transactions has yielded two dividends on the same date for a number of holdings. One is correct, and matches the transaction history shown on the Schwab website. The other is not correct, and does not appear on the Schwab website. This provides an objective way to ensure the correct dividend is entered, but it is disappointing to have to manually correct a process that should be fully automated.

Have applied Mondo patch; running Quicken R37.52; Build 27.1.37.52; Windows 10
  • Texas Ed
    Texas Ed Member ✭✭
    Morning Update, Making Progress (fingers crossed)!!! When I booted up this am, found the following.

1. Quicken offered an update and I installed, am now at R37.66
    2. IRA register now shows correct cash balance and total securities value!
    3. Reconciling IRA shares still shows same problem as it is comparing to the other account with same last three digits in account number.
    4. Dowloaded and compared downloads to Schwab accounts online. All OK, except one extra dividend not listed on Schwab account. The value of the extra dividend is curiously exactly 10% of the value of a correct dividend from the same company which downloaded accurately. Progress, I think.
    5. Decided to "Reconcile Shares" in the IRA again and surprise, they matched.
    6. If this holds, version R37.66 seems like a winner.

Hope this helps...good luck to all and I'll repost after a few days or if something changes. I'll be VERY interested in what others are finding.
  • MichaelG
    MichaelG Member ✭✭
    I also installed 37.66 and --sadly --nothing changed. Investment transactions are downloaded as cash credits and debits and the program doesn't recognize bonds held in three Schwab accounts, doesn't update prices for them, and wants to create placeholders.
  • HellRider
    HellRider Member ✭✭
    I too have the R37.66 version and now Quicken will only download data from my Schwab bank account. None of the brokerage accounts will download. Quicken seems to connect just fine, but nothing downloads.
  • MichaelG
    MichaelG Member ✭✭
    In Preferences: Downloaded Transactions, check "automatically add to investment transactions lists". Doing this got Quicken to investment transactions. Unfortunately, they just come through as cash (deposit/withdraw) transactions. Better than nothing, but not by much.
  • RLF3rd
    RLF3rd Member ✭✭
    @HellRider. Before installing R37.66, I was getting some transactions to download into Quicken from my brokerage accounts. After installing R37.66, I haven't had a single transaction download into Quicken even though I can see a number of transactions in those accounts on the Schwab website. As in your case, Quicken seems to connect just fine -- in fact, the account list shows up-to-date "Last Downloaded" info -- but no transactions download.
  • HellRider
    HellRider Member ✭✭
    > @RLF3rd said:
    > @HellRider. Before installing R37.66, I was getting some transactions to download into Quicken from my brokerage accounts. After installing R37.66, I haven't had a single transaction download into Quicken even though I can see a number of transactions in those accounts on the Schwab website. As in your case, Quicken seems to connect just fine -- in fact, the account list shows up-to-date "Last Downloaded" info -- but no transactions download.

Yeah, as of today it's still having issues. I guess Quicken doesn't work the weekends.
  • RLF3rd
    RLF3rd Member ✭✭
    @HellRider. Over the weekend, I had a minor breakthrough thanks to a post I saw elsewhere on this forum. I still can't get my Schwab accounts to download transactions using One Step Update or using the Update Transactions under the gear menu. But opening up the gear menu and holding down "shift + control" while clicking on Update Transactions, worked. It first brings up a dialog asking if you want to redownload past transactions. I clicked yes and my transactions downloaded. There were no duplicate past transactions but there were a few that previously hadn't downloaded as well as current transactions. Doing this on just one of my accounts, downloaded all Schwab account under my Schwab user name. I did the same on one of my wife's accounts and it downloaded all under her user name. You should not have to do this for each of your accounts, just one account per user name.

I still have other issues with Quicken and Schwab (mainly how Quicken treats cash and money market funds in Schwab accounts), but it appears that my transactions are now up to date. I hope this solutions continues to work. I also hope that Quicken gets One Step Update to work as it should.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.