Maximum dataset exceeded question

leishirsute
leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
I have not encountered this problem (fingers-crossed).
I would like to know if this problem can only occur for those that are sync'ing their datasets to the cloud.
If I have sync turned off, can this problem still occur?
Quicken Deluxe Subscription; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Best Answer

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you don't sync to Mobile & the Web, you can create a new empty Quicken data file with sync enabled and see all your datasets. I don't believe they expire. You can also delete unused ones but don't delete the current one.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    The problem occurs when you restore you Quicken data file too many times. Each restore creates a new dataset. Instead of restoring, you can change the backup file extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF and open directly in Quicken.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    But can the problem occur for a restore only while using mobile data sync'ing?
    Or can it happen regardless of sync'ing.  If mobile sync'ing is turned off, datasets should not be copied to the cloud.
    SO it's a bit confusing how this could happen if mobile sync is not used.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Mobile syncing has nothing to do with the problem.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    That implies that Quicken backs my dataset to the cloud regardless if I want it to or not.  I do not use mobile data and don't want my dataset backed to Quicken's cloud.  How do i make sure that dataset backups to the cloud are not happening?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited December 2021
    Quicken creates a cloud dataset whether sync or not. The dataset contains your subscription information, billers that you download, EWC information and I believe Credit Score and Zestimate. You can't use Quicken Subscription without having it create a dataset. Search this community and you'll find many discussions about the Quicken dataset.

What is the Quicken Cloud?
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I understand now.  Quicken saves sort of account info metadata in the cloud for each datafile and not the actual datafile.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    I'll have to remember to avoid doing restores.
    I wonder if inactive cloud datasets expire and get deleted over time to free up the dataset count limit.
    It seems support needs to provide a mechanism to delete cloud datasets that can be performed by the user and not require a support phone call.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓
    If you don't sync to Mobile & the Web, you can create a new empty Quicken data file with sync enabled and see all your datasets. I don't believe they expire. You can also delete unused ones but don't delete the current one.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    I will give that a try.  Thanks.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    That worked.  I was able to delete some very old datasets.  Thanks.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @leishirsute

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We are glad that your issue is now resolved. If this issue comes up again or any others please let us know!

-Quicken Paloma
This discussion has been closed.