Making new recurring dividends is much more difficult (Q Mac)

Account does not show the Account I am in.
The payee drop down is totally useless (especially in other areas for I seldom use the same payee sequentially) Be nice if it would give us a list of stocks. In the date part have to enter quarterly twice to be sure before moving on. In the summary screen it still shows monthly though the date shown for the future are correct.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm not understanding your questions. You should not be seeing the Payee field at all when entering an investment transaction, and you should be seeing a list of your stocks and funds. Let's step through this slowly, so you can tell me where what I'm saying is different than what you are doing or seeing.
    • Click on one of your investment accounts in the left sidebar
    • Click on the Transactions tab
    • Click New to create a transaction
    • Enter the date of the transaction and press Tab
    • In the Type field, If the transaction is a cash Dividend, enter or select from the menu Income > Dividend. (If you just start typing "di", it will auto-populate with Dividend Income.) If it's a reinvested dividend, select Reinvest > Dividend (just type "re" and select Reinvest Dividend from the small pop-up list).
    • Tab to the date, which you've already set, and tab again to the Security field
    • Click in the field for a drop-down list of all your stocks and securities, or just start typing the first few letters of the security name, and it will pop up a list of matching securities
    • Select the one you want either by mousing down the list or clicking with your mouse
    • Enter the dollar amount
    • Click Save

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tglamkin
    tglamkin Member
    I talking about entering a NEW Recurring Dividend via the Add Bill window accessed through option- command N
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    I don't think the purpose of the Bills & Income feature is to set up recurring transactions for investments. There is no mention of this in QMAC help and if you right-click on an existing dividend transaction in an investment account, the option to set up a scheduled transaction is greyed out. This is true for both "Dividend Income" and "Reinvest Dividend."

• jacobs
    tglamkin said:
    I talking about entering a NEW Recurring Dividend via the Add Bill window accessed through option- command N
    Ah, that explains the misunderstanding. Bills & Income is for banking transactions, not for investment transactions. (Yes, investments generate income, but that's not what Quicken pulls into the Bills & Income screen.) Investment transactions need to be made in a transaction register of an investment account. As I explained above, it's pretty simply to do.

You can use Command-N to start a new transaction rather than clicking the New button, if you prefer. If you have multiple transactions to enter across multiple investment accounts,I prefer to click on each account in the left sidebar so I'm sure I'm entering the dividends in the correct account. But you can click on Brokerage or Retirement or Investing in the left sidebar and enter transactions from there, being careful to select the correct Account for each transaction on the far right of the blue main transaction line. 

Additionally, you can't have scheduled investment transactions; Quicken doesn't support them. However, if you have certain stocks which pay the same dividend every quarter, instead of entering the whole transaction each time, you can go to the register, click on the last quarterly dividend, and do Transaction > Duplicate (or command-D) to create the transaction, and then just edit the date to be the correct date.
  • tglamkin
    tglamkin Member
    I’ve been doing it for years. It is nice to know when dividends are due. With the number of dividends I receive it is difficult to look up the old ones. With 6.5 it is more difficult to do but I will continue to do it. You should try it.
  • jacobs
    I'm confused. There is nothing new in version 6.5 which should affect the way dividends are entered in Quicken.

It has never been possible to create a scheduled dividend transaction in an investment account… unless perhaps you have been entering it as a banking transaction using your own Payee and Category. When you look in one of your investment account registers, do your past dividend transactions show Type=Dividend Income and Description/Category = Investments:Interest Income? Or do they show Type=Payment/Deposit and some other Description/Category?

When you say I should try it, what are you referring to? I enter all my dividends manually. Although I receive dividends from a number of funds and stocks, clicking on each account in the sidebar makes it pretty easy for me to see my most recent dividend transactions in that account. (Since most of my dividends are mutual funds and vary from quarter to quarter, I usually just enter each one as a new transaction, rather than duplicating an old transaction, changing the date and changing the amount.) 
  • tglamkin
    tglamkin Member
    For something that can’t be done I’ve been doing for years in the brokerage transactions window. Option command N. Especially good for split transactions where there is a deduction for foreign tax and ADR fees. It’ll calculate and enter the net dividend.
    I’ll grant you the dates and amounts often change but sometimes it is nice to know when dividends go up or down or the company doesn’t pay as scheduled.
    Try it the next time you have a dividend to enter. Have to do it before you enter it though because you are right; you can’t make an old entry recurring. You can edit recurring transaction as long as you do it before you mark it Paid.
  • jacobs
    @tglamkin I don't think you understood my previous question. Yes, Command-Option-N brings up the "Add Bill" window for adding a scheduled transaction. Then you click Add Manual Bill or Income, correct? And that takes you to the Transaction Details screen where you can set the Type to Income, enter a Payee, Category and Amount. Is that what you're describing?

What I was saying is that this doesn't create an investment transaction, it creates a banking (payment/deposit) transaction. That's not the way investments are designed to be handled in Quicken Mac. I'm guessing you enter a Payee name that is the same name as the stock/security, and use some category you created for dividend income? (You can't use Quicken's built-in Investments categories in a banking transaction.) And do you have that category assigned to the tax category for dividend income so it shows up in the tax report? If that works for your needs, great. I'm explaining that's not the way Quicken is built to handle investment transactions. This explains why you say you don't see a drop-down list of your securities when entering a transaction; you would see your securities rather than your payee list if you created an investment transaction for the dividend.
  • tglamkin
    tglamkin Member
    Enjoyed your discussion. I’ll look into how Quicken handles banking transactions vs. investment transactions. But Quicken still made it more difficult to do it my way in 6.5 than it was before though the drop down menu in the accounts field does give all the investment accounts. It is just the default account is not the account that is the current account. I just wanted to let Quicken know they did something that did not help me. Over and out.
This discussion has been closed.