Notes In Account Header (Q Mac)

Jaybird180
Jaybird180 Member ✭✭
edited December 2021 in Product Enhancements (Mac)
For my credit cards, I need to keep track of some date information. I used the notes section of the account, but I would like to have this information shown to me, possibly in the header bar for each card. How can I do this?

Alternately, It would be helpful to have the information displayed as a date or in some cases a range of dates on Quicken's calendar. Is there a way to do this?

I'm looking for something like this:

1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Use your cell phone or Mac calendar and set up a reminder there. 
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want it in the header bar you would need to add it to the name of the account.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here? Mark up this image to let us know what, exactly you would like to be able to show where.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @UKR It's pretty hard to capture a screenshot of a feature which is desired but not currently present in the program. ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jaybird180
    Jaybird180 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Sometimes
    > a picture is worth a thousand words …
    >
    > Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    > showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    > your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    > here? Mark up this image to let us know what, exactly you would like to be able to show where.
    >
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows
    >
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac
    >
    > Please
    > save images to files of file type PNG,
    > JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

I think I can put something together. I'll do that later today. Thanks for the reminder (pictures help).
  • Jaybird180
    Jaybird180 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs I agree, but I think I can CREATE enough of an idea of what I want and maybe someone can suggest a way to accomplish it.
  • Jaybird180
    Jaybird180 Member ✭✭
    It would have been great if I would have been able to edit my OP and post the screenshot there, but nevertheless, here it is. Thanks @UKR
  • Jaybird180
    Jaybird180 Member ✭✭
    @volvogirl If there is no other option, then I'll consider employing your suggested solution.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2021
    @Jaybird180  Just to be clear, there is no such option at this time. We can ask a moderator to turn this into an Idea post, where other users can vote on it, and, if it garners enough support, the idea is passed to the developers for consideration. 

Also, I inserted your screen mockup in your original post, so the idea will be clearer for anyone who wants to vote for it. 
  • Jaybird180
    Jaybird180 Member ✭✭
    For now as a workaround, I'm going to try auto-entry $0.00 scheduled transactions for the date needed, so it adds it to my register. I'll see how that works out as a solution. In this case, my try-out-the-concept date is the statement closing dates of my credit cards. I don't see why that can't be an entry field in the account setup process.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    So, your concern is your credit card statement closing dates?  Once again...i'll reiterate...why don't you just set up reminders in your smartphone calendar?  And here's a novel idea...you can even set up an alarm to notify you.  [Removed - Sarcasm]
  • Jaybird180
    Jaybird180 Member ✭✭
    @garysmith87 Statement closing dates is an important date I need to track. I used to use my iPhone to track other financial dates, but there are drawbacks. When I'm in my workflow managing my finances I don't want to refer to my smartphone for financial data, I'd like all of my financial data in my financial software.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    So, what you're saying is you NEVER have your mobile phone with you at all during the day...because I'm pretty sure if you set up a reminder in the calendar, it will notify you throughout the ENTIRE day.

Additionally, I know as a Mac user that a reminder set for a specific day syncs from my iPhone to my MacBook Pro seamlessly and appears on my MacBook Pro screen from my Notifications until I dismiss the reminder or the reminder expires (the next day).

I'm certain that Google's Calendar feature and Outlook calendar for PC's will do the same...sync from your mobile and appear on your desktop.

I have my reminders for my retirement investment distributions on my iPhone to remind me when they are paid.  This works out just fine for me.  I get the reminder on my iPhone and my MacBook Pro...throughout the entire day until I X it out and dismiss it.  

I have my federal and state estimated income tax reminders on my phone's calendar.  

I have my investment companies dividend and capital gains distribution dates on my phone's calendar.

I have me and my wife's social security payment dates (different dates) as reminders on my phone's calendar. 

Funny...I haven't missed one of those reminders or missed one of those dates.  

[Removed - Disruptive/Violation of Community Guidelines]

But good luck...and Happy New Year!
  • Jaybird180
    Jaybird180 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    @garysmith87 So because you don't agree isn't gotta be wrong. Got it.
    [Removed - Disruptive]
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    [Removed - Speculation]

[Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines]

May I ask...what are you really trying to accomplish with your request? Maybe I'm just missing what you need to see.  Please enlighten me.  [Removed - Disruptive/Sarcasm]
  • jacobs
    @garysmith87 I don't think you need to be nasty about ideas which you disagree with or don't see merit in; suggest an alternative and let it go at that.

For credit card payments, I don't care about the email which tells me my statement is ready; what I want to be reminded of is when it's due. Some credit card companies let you set alert emails, but they may or may not let you set the number of days in advance, and not all have this feature. And quarterly tax payments certainly don't. So a better, more consistent system of reminders can be really helpful

I actually agree with @Jaybird180 to some extent -- not about wanting information in the header of the account, which I don't -- but about managing reminders. Although you seem to think it's preposterous, I actually don't always have my phone at my side when I sit down at my Mac to do something in Quicken; I often do, but sometimes I don't. More importantly to me, I find the Reminder app on iOS to be terrible and therefore don't use it much. The problem: it will alert me once, but not again. That is, if I set it to remind me at 9 am on December 30, I'll see an alert at that time. But if I'm not at my computer, and sit down at noon or the next day, even with my phone in front of me, there's no further alert to remind me of the task unless I open Reminders. The calendar program I used to use for work (the awesome BusyCal) had a "snooze" button so I could tell a reminder to alert me again (in 10 minutes or an hour or 10 hours or 2 days) and again and again until I actually marked it as done or dismissed the alert from reminding me. That worked for me. iOS Reminders do not. They may work fine for you, but there's no need to heap scorn on people for whom it doesn't.

I could use my Google calendar for something like this, but for my various credit card due dates and things like tax payment deadlines, I actually have a little spreadsheet which updates the dues dates every month; I print it monthly and cut out the roughly 4"x3" grid which shows the account, closing date, due date, and has a column for me to mark when each is done. I tape it to the chin/bottom bezel of my iMac so I can see at a glance every time I'm at the computer what bills I have upcoming. It's very low-tech, I know, but suits my needs perfectly because I'm not only seeing a reminder that a bill is due in two days, but I can look ahead at the next week or 10 days to see what else is upcoming -- all without another device or app.

(I think it would be useful if I could record these reminders in Quicken's calendar and have it alert me, but I understand why they don't consider it worth doing since there are so many other calendars people use.)
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    First off, you're missing one of the greatest features of using the Mac environment when you state that you don't always have your phone with you when you sit down to your Mac to do something in Quicken.

You DON'T need to have your iphone anywhere near you.  Your calendar reminders, ToDo's, Notes, etc all automatically sync via iCloud between your phone and your desktop Mac.  If you have Notifications turned on in your desktop/laptop Mac, you'll get those reminders to pop up right on your screen.  Or you can see them by clicking on the date/time in the upper right on the title bar of your macOS.  

IT'S LITERALLY RIGHT THERE for you to see, just as if it was on your phone...without any intervention on your part.  And if its a calendar reminder for a specific day, the reminder will continue to show every time your Mac goes out of sleep mode or until you dismiss it.  You don't need to set a reminder for a specific time.  Just select ALL DAY.  And even if you select a specific time (which I don't do unless I have an actual appointment), you can select multiple times to remind you...so you'll see it multiple times popping up on your desktop.  But not selecting a specific time and using ALL DAY will have the calendar reminder show every time you open your Mac unless you dismiss the reminder or until the reminder expires (the next day).  

Additionally, you can add a Calendar widget (the LARGE size) to the Notifications area and you'll see your calendar reminders for the next few days...right there on your desktop. Those do NOT disappear until you get to the next day after the reminder day.  

If you need more help with this, contact me and I'll walk you through it.  You're not taking full advantage of what the Mac OS environment has to offer.  

Next point...the OP stated he needs to know the CLOSING DATE.  That is completely different than what YOU inferred, which is the PAYMENT DUE DATE.  If that's what the OP needs, I completely understand that.  But that's not what he stated.  He specifically stated he needs to track the CLOSING DATE.  Please re-read his post.  Why he needs to track the closing date, I have no idea...and he hasn't responded to my request for clarification on that.  

[Removed - Disruptive]

[Removed - Speculation]

Even the OP didn't vote for this, as there are ZERO votes for his idea as of now. 

• Jaybird180
    Jaybird180 Member ✭✭
    @garysmith87 I don't know how to vote. I'm pretty new here. The moderator moved it to feature request. If you can tell me how to do that, I'd appreciate it.

I previously stated there are a few dates that I need to track for each card, we have about 18 cards and I used to track a lot of pertinent information using Numbers, but it became high workload updating it on a regular basis. That's why I came back to Quicken after a several year hiatus. In my best scenario, Quicken has significantly reduced my financial workload but I still use my spreadsheet to reference date information and for strategic planning or tactical maneuvering it's easier to see the date information at a glance.

Credit cards have several dates associated with them. Most consumers don't understand it, hence the large consumer debt in this country. Due date is but one relevant date the consumer needs to know. Balance at the Closing date is what the financial institution uses to determine financial risk. This is the amount they report to the credit bureaus and how they assess you in their internal models that you may know nothing about.

Since Quicken already tells me the due date via eBills, I am using Statement Closing Date as proof of concept that entering a $0.00 scheduled transactions will give me what I need to know before I enter the other relevant dates. It took me awhile to schedule those 18 dates and if it works I'll have to do it for the other pertinent dates, which is actually a date zone. But this will tell me that the software can give me the information reliably. I'll test it for about a month or so.

Finally, considering that you've indicated that you re-read my OP, you probably have also seen that I previously stated that I used to use the iCloud calendaring functionality for financial information. I'm also a Google calendar user. My Calendars sync as they are supposed to. I don't trust Reminders for certain critical information as @jacobs illustrated above. There are drawbacks to that approach and the simplest way to explain it is that relevant financial information belongs in a financial application. I'm hoping that Quicken can serve all my needs.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    [Removed - Disruptive/Off Topic/Violation of Community Guidelines]
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs...

BTW, when I say I have "reminders" set up for certain dates...what I mean is that I set up an iCal (Mac calendar) entry and set it for ALL DAY rather than a specific time frame.   

I don't use the actual Mac Reminders app.  

Entering it into the calendar works flawlessly on my MacBook Pro and my iPhone.  I get notifications on both.

Hope that clarifies things a bit. 
  • jacobs
    @garysmith87 Thanks for clarifying on your use of Calendar versus Reminders. I used iCal for a bit years ago, and for several reasons, found Google Calendar preferable at that time. The Mac Calendar app has undoubtedly improved over the years, but I haven't gone back to try it again because I already have a lot of my procedures working well with Google Calendar.

As for my bill payment track, yes, I could absolutely use a digital calendar! In Google Calendar, and I assume in Mac Calendar, I could create a separate calendar just for bills, so I could toggle visibility of this calendar on and off separate from other appointments and events on my calendar. I might do that at some point, using either of those calendar programs. But I'll say that my simple monthly bill reminder card takes 15 seconds a month to manage, and flawlessly keeps me on top of my bills. Switching to a digital calendar can't make things any better/faster/easier for me; it could simply be a replacement. (If we get to traveling enough that we're away for long periods, then a digital calendar would instantly jump to be a preferred system.)

One thing you may not be taking into account is that some users have intentionally not enabled all of Apple's nice connectivity across devices and platforms. I have a desktop iMac and a MacBook Pro laptop. I don't want to see all my reminders and alerts on both devices all the time. And while I was working, I had a work iMac and used my phone for many work functions; I didn't want all my 2FA messages and other work-related stuff constantly popping up on multiple home devices. My wife mostly uses a work laptop and iPad, but sometimes uses our two Macs. I would really need to make separate user accounts for each of us in order not to have her messages and alerts and my messages and alerts annoy each of us. (I could do that, and might some day, but having a single user account always logged in is simpler and works for all our other needs.) And then if she needed to use Quicken, but it was on my user account, we'd have to get involved with moving the Quicken datafile, and I do not want to do that. I know there are ways to work around most if not all these issues, but they have some negatives as well. I'm not looking for discussion on all of this; I was only pointing out that the way you use your phone and your Mac — the way Apple designed them to be used together! — doesn't always fit neatly into everyone's workflows. 

Since we've wandered way off the original point of this thread, let me just mention to @Jaybird180 that the way to vote for this, or any Idea post on this site, is to scroll up to the first post in the thread, look for the yellow box under that post, and to click on the little black arrow under the vote counter. (One you've voted for an idea, the arrow turns light gray.)
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @All,

This post has been closed as it's become argumentative and is no longer contributing to a constructive conversation.

Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited December 2021
    Hello All,

This Idea has been reopened for discussion. Please be mindful of our Community Guidelines, remain kind to each other and please avoid sarcasm, rudeness, mockery, etc. 

Thank you,

Quicken Community Moderation Team
    -Quicken Anja