Register Balance and Account Balance Report do not match

Jan G
Jan G Member ✭✭
Of the 22 accounts I have in my Quicken Premier Version R37.66 there is just one (Investment) account that is reporting a $10,702.76 balance difference when I run an account balance report vs the actual (reconciled) account balance in the register. The account "balanced" as of 12/31/2020, but the 12/31/2021 balances do not. I have searched the account for a $10,702.76 entry, but there isn't anything even close. How can I get the Account Balances report to show the correct balance?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, you can do a File > Validate and repair to see if that fixes it.

If not click the gear to customize the Account Balances report, then check Account Detail. 

Compare the balance for each security to that shown when you click on Holdings for the account. Go back in time to find when the balances agree, then forward to see when they diverge, Look for odd transactions around that date.

Please let us know what you find!
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jan Morlock
    Jan Morlock Member
    lost information
  • Jim_Harman
    Another thing you can try is to exit and restart Quicken then open the account and hit 

Ctrl-Shift-Z to force the account to recalculate.

• Jan G
    Jan G Member ✭✭
    Thank you for responding. However the register balance is correct..it’s the account balance report that’s incorrect.
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, sometimes recalculating fixes things you wouldn't expect.

If that doesn't do it, you can try the historical sleuthing I describe above. When you find a suspect transaction, try deleting and re-entering it.
  • Jan G
    Jan G Member ✭✭
    Att: Jim_Harman SuperUser : Did the validate, still didn't work. Compared the balance for each security in the account detail screen, but when compared to the balances shown in the register, there was no conflict. The Account Balances Report still is off on just one of 22 accounts (an investment account) by $10,702.76. (I used "Last Year" as the time period. The year before everything checked out.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried a backup from before this problem started?
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    What you did is not what I suggested. You should Set the Account Detail option in the Account Balances report and compare to the Holdings balances security by security. Go back in time until the balances agree, then forward til you see the disparity.
  • Jan G
    Jan G Member ✭✭
    I did do what you suggested. As of 12/31/2020 the Account Balance Report showed the correct register balance. I did check the Account Detail option for the 1/1/2021-12/31/2021 period and compared all of the figures shown against my "holdings" list. There was NO discrepency, so I didn't go back in time until the balances agree because as of 12/31/2020 they DID agree. I also did the Cntrl-Shift-Z recalculate option. Now the figure in the Account Balance Report is $10,700.74 instead of $10,702.76...only a $2.02 difference, not a $10,000+ difference.
  • Jim_Harman
    So the problem occurred AFTER 12/31/20. I suggest you adjust the ending date for the report and the As of date for the Holdings view, trying later dates in 2021 until you see the problem occur. You might go one month at a time for example.

Then adjust the dates to zero in on the exact problem date and look for a transaction on that date. Correct any problem with that transaction or delete and re-enter it and see if that fixes it.
  • Jan G
    Jan G Member ✭✭
    Still no luck. I give up. As long as the register balance is the same as the TD Ameritrade balance for the account, I'm not going to try any harder. It's just frustrating. I have 3 accounts at TD Ameritrade and only one is giving me the problem.
  • Joan Friedman
    Joan Friedman Member ✭✭
    I have been having a similar problem for most of the last year with my checking account. The register has all my transactions and matches my checking account web page perfectly. But in the Accounts column on the left hand side of the page, the Checking balance is consistently wrong. It is always $1655 less than my actual account balance. This has been consistent through at least two Windows updates. I have tried Validating and Repairing several times; I have also tried backing up and restoring. It also did not change when I did my Year-End backup. It is not crucial, because the register is accurate, but given that I am paying more and more every year for my Quicken subscription, it is quite annoying.
  • Jan G
    Jan G Member ✭✭
    Jim Harmon: I finally found the time to go month by month comparing the Account Balance report with the Holdings report and found that in April 2021 the Account Balance report and the Holdings report were exactly $10,702.75. However, checking day by day during the entire month of April I could not find one entry that was in that specific amount. Now what ?
This discussion has been closed.