\Quicken and Windows Virtual Desktops and Multitasking

Paul Freedman
Paul Freedman Member ✭✭
I used to have two monitors, one which ran quicken and the other was open to my browser with my financial institution account showing. I just replaced it with a super wide screen single monitor.
In windows 10 and 11 you could set up multitasking by hovering the mouse over the maximize button in the upper right of the window and then place the window on the monitor. This works for every one of my apps except quicken. My other apps can be snapped to the left or right edge of the monitor and resized. The next time I open that app it remembers the window size and position.
This is not working with quicken. It either opens full screen or it opens as a small window but does not show the entire interface. I need to manually drag it and it still won't snap.

Does anyone know why I can't drag and snap the quicken window? Am I missing something like a setting that I am not aware of.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7885936/snap-to-grid
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You aren't missing anything.  The Quicken Windows developers decided not to use the standard Main window, instead created their own one, and then put the rest of Quicken in this "fake main window".
    They did this mainly so they could have controls that aren't supported on the standard main window like these buttons:

The end result is that they now have to program all the size and positioning behavior themselves instead of letting the lower-level Windows APIs do it.  And they don't take into account all the various ways that Windows has standardized the color, size, position, ...

This has so many affects I would probably go on for days.

• The title bar doesn't change colors matching what the user has set in their preferences.
    • With multiple displays looks at the main display for sizing instead of the one that it is on.  This means that given two different resolutions it might size wrong unless the user sets the main display to be the one Quicken is on.
    • In maximize mode it is one pixel down from the top of the display.
    • You get artifacts like this:

• If Quicken gets really busy with a background task you can get the whole inner part of Quicken to turn black.
    • (This the one you mention, note hovering over the maximize button is new in Windows 11, but you can do other controls for "snap to" in Windows 10).  If you are on Windows 11 you should be able to hover over the maximize button to do the positioning and Quicken won't do anything if you over the maximize control.
    • They don't properly remember the size of the main window either, if you aren't in maximize mode and set and size for the main window and then maximize it, and then close, they remember the maximized size not the non-maximized window size, so when you open and restore down it doesn't go back to the window size you set, you have resize it back down from the maximize size.
    I'm sure I'm missing a few more, but these are the ones that I remember off the top of my head.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.