Occasional unexplained reconcile problems

Peter Isakson
Peter Isakson Member ✭✭✭
Quicken D4eluxe R37.65 Windows 11
I occasionally have reconcile errors, mainly on credit card accounts. The reconcile process shows an imbalance, and I go back and look at all the transactions from my most recent monthly credit card statement, and all match those in Quicken. There are also no (recent, at least) transactions in Quicken that are missing from the statement. The prior reconcile (one month before) had been correct. I had also noticed, a few days before the reconcile, that the Quicken register balance started to not match the one from the credit card company (the downloaded balance in Quicken and the balance on the credit card website matched). Note I sort by Cleared, so the existence of uncleared manually entered transactions is not the issue.
I fix this by letting Q add a reconcile transaction, usually (always, maybe) by adding a debit, for example, 10.59. It is like a previous historical debit transaction had somehow been deleted from the register, perhaps by a sync to cloud. I have tried to open past backup files from before the error appeared, but is is almost impossible to compare a register with > 10K transactions across two file versions to see what changed.
This is annoying, and I can only guess that some sort of sync error causes it. Is there any known issue, and ideally a way to avoid it?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6

Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If you answer "yes" to the first question and "no" to the latter, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

If you answer "yes" to both questions, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

How to reset Sync to Cloud

• Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    • Now log back into your mobile app

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

• Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

• Peter Isakson
    Peter Isakson Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I do need Sync as I use both the mobile app and also look at things using Quicken Web. I have reset my cloud data after logging out of and uninstalling the mobile app a number of times in the past to try to resolve this. This type of error still creeps in, sometime not for a few weeks or so, but so far it has always reappeared. I can only assume there is a bug in (likely) the sync process - I was hoping to see if people (Quicken?) are aware of such an issue.

Also, has anyone identified a relatively "easy" way of taking a prior QDF backup file and comparing with the newest (the one that has probably lost a transaction)? I have tried exporting the register from the two versions to Excel, but have not figured out an easy way to use Excel features to identify the difference between the two at a transaction level.
This discussion has been closed.