Placeholder Question

Paddy
Paddy Member ✭✭
I decided to use placeholders so there is no talking me out of it now. ;) The issue is that after it's done, the placeholder says Enter History. All the information is correct.

Does the Enter History placeholder go away?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you select the "Enter History" you will find that what that process is trying to do it create the proper transactions.

Placeholders by definition have no "history".  As such Quicken can't provide any information on cost basis, returns, ...
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not replace the placeholder with a single "adjustment" transaction with the correct Qty and Cost Basis for the missing shares, that way you get around the placeholder's "Enter History"  connotation?  Both of those #s should be easy to calculate.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Paddy
    Paddy Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I already entered all the information in the placeholder and what is left is the placeholder with the Enter History hyperlink which takes you back into the placeholder. My question is does this placeholder go away ever? I resolved the placeholder missing transactions. Seems weird that Quicken would leave the placeholder there even after I have resolved it.
  • Paddy
    Paddy Member ✭✭
    I called Quicken and they said once all the information was entered, I could just delete the placeholders.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Paddy said:
    I called Quicken and they said once all the information was entered, I could just delete the placeholders.
    Yes, and I personally consider this a bug.  The placeholder should have been removed when you entered the data.  At one time that did work, but I think it has been broken for a very long time.

Given that use of Placeholder is so strongly discourage (and rightly so) I don't think bugs like this get too much attention.  It is like the fact that when you have a budget for 2021 and open it in 2022 it will force the extension into 2022 without giving you the same options that you would get if you had extended it in 2021.  It has been pointed out that this is wrong for years, but of course since it only happens at the start of a year, it is quickly forgotten.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • kgofrd
    kgofrd Member ✭✭
    quicken started me with a bunch of place holders, i out in the costs at the date requested by quicken. The history question comes up and in looking at history the date was wrong in which I looked up the price. now I need to readjust. And it appears to add the shares each time I modify. This is creating a mess. Now this is recommending not using place holders. Im thinking of not using quicken
This discussion has been closed.