Absolutely ridiculous network loading times with the newest Quicken updates. Completely unusable

I keep my quicken file on a NAS. I have gigabit connectivity to it, it's fine.

With the latest quicken update, I started getting warnings that I was accessing my file from a network location, Completely Unprecedented!!! (I've only been doing it for the last 15 years or so). Now my quicken is completely unusable. I try to categorize or make any change to a transaction, and it literally takes 30 seconds for whatever is going on to come to an end - the program completely freezes in the meantime.

Please for the love of god fix this.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but that's not going to happen. Quicken does not support accessing your Quicken data file from a Network drive or a Cloud drive.

Can I install or use Quicken on a network?

We don't recommend sharing or attempting to sync Quicken data files between computers on a network, as this may lead to data file damage.  We also strongly advise against installing Quicken on a network. Quicken is not designed to be used over a network or shared drive.

Quicken incrementally saves your data as it's entered. Saving Quicken data files locally (directly on your computer's hard drive), and not over a network, decreases the risk of data loss. Network instability or the use of a single data file by multiple people at the same time will often lead to data integrity issues.

Due to the many possible network configurations, Quicken doesn't offer technical assistance for this type of configuration.

Our Quicken Mobile App will allow you to view your synced Quicken accounts from several different mobile devices, if you choose.

Can I Install Quicken On Multiple Computers? Do I Need To Purchase Quicken Again To Install It On A New Computer?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • katzendreckt
    katzendreckt Member ✭✭
    Yeah, well, it worked for years - and something with this most recent update completely borked it. Not complicated.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You've just been lucky. Quicken was never designed to work with the data file on a network drive. It assumes that there will not ever be a "write error". And as such has no system for checking if the data actually got written correctly or to recover from such a problem if it didn't write properly.

Besides this there isn't anyway for Quicken Inc to judge the reliability of "network drive". Which can be on any given operating system using any given protocol and any given hardware, and be setup by an expert or a person that has no clue about networks. So you might have anything from a network that never fails to one that has errors all the time.
  • katzendreckt
    katzendreckt Member ✭✭
    edited January 9
    Lucky? You have no idea how many times I've had a network connection cut out, restored from a backup, re-verified data, whatever. And still I've continued to use the same file, on the same server, for years without any issue.

Why are you even responding to this post? This is a new problem - you can opine endlessly about whatever, but it's not helpful.

---------"Besides this there isn't anyway for Quicken Inc to judge the reliability of "network drive". "

I'll give you one - a sysadmin who has never had issues with the reliability of their program or "network drive" suddenly having an issue. With only one program. In particular. After a patch.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You can complain all you want but I can pretty much guarantee you Quicken will do nothing about your problem. FWIW, there was a change made to Quicken sometime in 2020 that warned you about opening your data file from a network drive. There was also a "Don't show me again" box. Maybe the most recent update unchecked the box. Good luck!!!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    Yeah, well, it worked for years - and something with this most recent update completely borked it. Not complicated.
    Who are you to judge what is complicated to change in the code or not?
    Are you a Quicken developer that has access to the code and can verify that is the case?

It is certainly possible that something that they changed in a patch might affect the performance when using it from a NAS.  But that doesn't imply that it is easy to find and fix or even if they would want to fix it.

For all you know they made a change that is vital for the use of Quicken as "intended", and the side effect is that it no longer works as "not intended".  If that is the case, why would the developers spend any time on this?

You do realize that statement that @Greg_the_Geek posted in his first comment is directly from the Quicken Inc documentation, right?  That is what they said on subject, they aren't going to support this.

All you can really hope for it was really the patch that caused this problem, is that another patch might luckily fix the problem as another side effect.

But I would make a wild guess (as a long-time developer) that in fact it isn't the patch that did this.  Something else changed on your system around about the same time and is causing the problem.  This is easy to prove by simply installing an older patch version of Quicken.  If you want such a patch, you can find them on my site if you haven't saved them for yourself.
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-subscription-patches.html

And if I'm correct that is exactly why Quicken Inc doesn't support keeping the data file on a "network drive".  The statement "network" is ambiguous.  It doesn't describe at all how reliable the network is, it doesn't describe anything about the physical connections or even the protocols used or if the user has it setup correctly or not.  When one wants to state that their program works on a network, they have to take all of these possible problems into account, both in the program itself and in the support (documentation, training, ...)

EDIT:  I just tested copying my data file to another Windows 10 machine, and access if from there, and it has no "lag".  I'm on R37.66.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/