Lost all data

dinmont2
dinmont2 Member
Running Quicken Starter and after update with new dashboard (R37.25 ?) I have no data at all. All accounts have disappeared and restoring a backup does not generate any data at all either! I've searched and read until I'm blue in the face! Help, please!

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using Windows Explorer, make a copy of your data file, rename the extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF.
    After doing the above, double click on the new file and report back what the results are.
    Make sure there is no space before the period in the file's name.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the accounts missing from the Accounts bar on the left side of your screen, or just missing from the Dashboard?

If missing from the Accounts bar, are you sure you are opening the same file you were using before? The default location for Quicken files is My Documents\Quicken but maybe your working file is stored in another directory.

Recently opened files are shown at the bottom of the File menu.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • dinmont2
    dinmont2 Member
    I tried creating a copy of the backup file and removing the "-backup" and got the same result of zero accounts. I'll have to say I did have some difficulty creating a copy of the file, when I hit the copy button, I don't know where it is putting my copy.
    Also, all accounts are missing from the account bar on the left of the screen, I have a completely unpopulated copy of Quicken ready to have data added to it. Even though my backup copies have 500mb of data. Somehow, I've managed to get all my Quicken files on OneDrive.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should not be storing Quicken data files on OneDrive, only on a local hard drive that is not being accessed by OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.

To restore a backup, go to File > Restore a backup file. Put the restored file on a local hard drive
    QWin Premier subscription
  • dinmont2
    dinmont2 Member
    Good point! I didn't realize all the data that was going to OneNote. Working on correcting that now.
  • dinmont2
    dinmont2 Member
    Still no data when restoring a backup file. Quicken program is completely devoid of any data. Any ideas wht restore is not working?
This discussion has been closed.