Reconcile Starting Balance Changed. Why?

I attempted to reconcile my checkbook this month and found that the Starting Balance had been changed. I reconciled last month with no issues and the ending balance of last month matched the starting balance from the bank this month, but Quicken had another value in the starting balance box. What would cause this to happen? I restored from previous quicken backup files and the starting balance was OK until a backup of around 12/22/2021.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the impacted Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • Alcors3
    Alcors3 Member
    Mr. Hobbs - I recently began having this similar problem, though the reconciled starting balance that Quicken changes is the very first opening balance for the account, which was some 7 years ago. First it changed it by subtracting a penny from the original amount. After correcting this, the second time Quicken subtracted 2 cents from the original balance. I did what Sherlock suggested for the entire year of 2021 - still off by the penny. Then on a whim I checked my year end backup and noticed that the opening balance had changed. So the second time it was easy to find where the 2 cent discrepancy was. Still have no idea why this is happening.
  • Bret.Hobbs
    Bret.Hobbs Member ✭✭
    I have investigated and I am very sure I did not adjust any figures or unreconcile any transaction. I am guessing that a quicken update caused this issue. It is a real pain to fix and also it takes time to figure out what went on.
  • Dougjtvh
    Dougjtvh Member
    I don't have a solution but experienced the same problem when attempting to reconcile my main checking account for 12/31/21. The only account that appears to have had an issue is this one account. The beginning balance in the reconcile function did not match my November statement ending balance by $120.00. I have tried to see if I had deleted or added any transactions but finally gave up and made an account balance adjustment and called it good. My current thought leads to using Quicken Web and mobile to enter transactions and they dont sync properly but thats just a guess. I have since quit syncing to web and no longer use the Web or mobile apps. We will see what happens at end of month!
  • msmith99usa
    msmith99usa Member ✭✭
    I am just off a one hour call with Support on this issue. No resolution. I am trying to reconcile a Cash Management Account linked to a Brokerage Account. The prior months reconcile perfectly. When reconciling the current month, the Beginning Balance in the Reconciliation Panel does not match the Ending Balance of the prior month (from either the Reconciliation Panel or the Register Balance at the end of the month). This is not my first day at the beach...I have matched transactions from the bank statements to both the Cash Management Account and Brokerage Account transactions for several of the months prior to the current month - No variances in the number of transactions or dollar amounts of each transaction. I have noticed however the Reconciliation Panel does not always count or sum the transactions correctly, and I have to manually "uncheck" and "re-check" each transaction to get them recognized by the Reconciliation Panel... Something is not right here!
  • Bret.Hobbs
    Bret.Hobbs Member ✭✭
    I also think that Quicken somehow messed things up. I don't use the web or the app, just the windows program. Maybe someone will figure this out in software development. I cannot keep restoring and reentering transactions. I made the appropriate balance adjustment and will see what happens at next months reconciliation.