AmEx Credit Card Incorrect Balances

steflondon
steflondon Member ✭✭
Starting on 1/10/22 continuing into 1/11/22, the American Express Blue Cash Preferred online balance total is off by $150 on 1/10 and $.01 on 1/11. Is that a server side issue or a Quicken issue?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure exactly what "off" is referring to here.  The online balance in Quicken should be the same as what you see at the AmEx site at that moment, right after a download.  If that the comparison you're making, or are you referring to your own register balance, maybe a register in which you make your own manual entries?
    I guess that some Financial Institutions have been known to include "pending" transactions in the downloaded Online Balance figure, though I can't say I've ever noticed that with my own AmEx Account.
    The fact that the $150 number seems to have reversed itself in one day suggests some sort of "timing" difference, and I could attribute that to a manual entry in the register that was off by a day, and the $.01 could be a manual entry error.
    My AmEx Account uses Direct Connect (DC) as the downloading method and that's by far the most reliable method.  If you're AmEx Account is setup to download using DC then you might want to peek into the OFX log to see if there's anything in there that might explain what you're seeing.  On the other hand if you're using Express Web Connect then the problem could be on either end, though I'd guess it would be an AmEx problem, i.e., they made some changes on their web site and didn't alert Quicken to the change.
  • steflondon
    steflondon Member ✭✭
    My Quicken balance is current and reconciled yet according to Quicken the downloaded online balance was higher by $150 on 1/10 higher by $.01 on 1/11. I checked the AmEx website balance as being identical to my Quicken reconciled balance(s). Since all my other downloaded account balances arecorrect I am curious if this is a Quicken/AmEx server side issue or just a Quicken update issue
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "My Quicken balance is current and reconciled yet according to Quicken the downloaded online balance was higher by $150 on 1/10 higher by $.01 on 1/11."
    So your register balances on those days agreed to the AmEx site's balances on those days, but the online balances for days was off?
    "I am curious if this is a Quicken/AmEx server side issue or just a Quicken update issue"
    This is a user to user forum so nobody here can look into your file and answer that question conclusively.  What method of downloading is that Account using?  If it's Direct Connect you should be able to see the error in the downloads by reference to the OFX files.  If it's Express Web Connect then it could be on either side and frankly I don't know what you might look at to make the determination.  If you are using EWC then I'd suggest changing that to DC as DC is just much more reliable.
This discussion has been closed.