Validation message

SandC
SandC Member ✭✭✭
I get this message in the log file after I validate. Meaning???

Number of old style Buy/Cash/Transfer investment transactions updated: 1854/0/0
No out-of-range security references found.

Thanks!

Comments

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @SandC

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. To obtain a better understanding could you please elaborate why the validation of the file was done? What error codes or messages were you receiving? 

Please elaborate so that we may obtain a better understanding. Thank you! 

-Quicken Paloma 
  • SandC
    SandC Member ✭✭✭
    When I start Quicken, the data file usually fails the first two or three times and then loads and all is okay. If I try to start Quicken and it does not load after 5 times, I do a data validation and it then asks for my Quicken password, does the validation and the data file opens up okay. The next day I go through the process again. The validation shows no errors except the line that is shown. What does that line mean?
    THanks!
    Anything else I can try to fix this program? Worked well before all the Schwab nonsense.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @SandC

Thank you for your response. The error found was from some discrepancies with that certain transaction(s). Although this doesn't seem to be specific. 

Could you please let us know where your main/active file is stored and if you are using a VPN? 

-Quicken Paloma
  • SandC
    SandC Member ✭✭✭
    File is stored on my local hardrive. I am not using a VPN.

Suggestions?

thanks!
  • SandC
    SandC Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 12
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    SandC said:
    @Quicken Paloma ?
    @SandC To reference screennames with a space, you have to enclose it with quotes like:
    atsign"screen name", then you can select them from a dropdown list.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • SandC
    SandC Member ✭✭✭
    Paloma does not show up on a drop down list. Thanks though!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    SandC said:
    Paloma does not show up on a drop down list. Thanks though!
    Sure she does: @Quicken Paloma

Got to use the "" to get them to show up.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • SandC
    SandC Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Paloma Comments? I am still having issues with the data file opening up.
  • SandC
    SandC Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Paloma On another post that you commented on and then was closed......what is the issue with repeated validations? That is the only way I can get the data file to open up.
  • Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    Hello @SandC,

Thank you for continuing to update this discussion.

Validations should not be done unnecessarily. Running a validation is needed at times, but should not be used excessively or when it's not needed.

The bigger issue here is that you are unable to even open your file without validating it. That is indicative of damage or corruption of the file. 

The best option would be to start rebuilding a new data file, unfortunately. You can get your file opened, create a copy of it,  and then validate and super validate the copy file. This should get the file repaired enough to be functioning again. However, damage/corruption like this seems to find a way of resurfacing over time. So even if you do the steps I just mentioned to repair it, you should still start rebuilding in a new data file. 

To copy the file, go to File>Copy or backup file...Create a copy or template>Next>(please save this file to the Quicken folder on the C: Drive)Save Copy>New Copy>Ok.

Now you will be in the new copy of the file and you can run a Validation. Then you should run a Super Validation by going to File>CTRL+Shift+Validate and Repair file>Super Validate>Ok.

Once those have been completed you can close and reopen Quicken. This new copy file will no longer have connections to your banks. I would advise that instead of reestablishing those connections in this copy file, you do that in a brand new file and keep this copy file as a historical record.

If you do decide to reconnect your accounts in this newly copied file, you will need to delete duplicates that get redownloaded, (usually for a 90-day time frame).

If you are using Bill Manager in your original file, please let us know and we can advise you on the best procedure for getting that set up in the new file. 

Thank you.

Quicken Alyssa

This discussion has been closed.