Frequent errors, very slow updating accounts

Tominator
Tominator Member ✭✭
One Step Update has simply gone bonkers for me. Extremely slow connections and errors with several of my banking institutions including Navy Federal Credit Union, Chase (credit card), San Diego County Credit Union (banking, multiple accounts) and Capital One (credit card). Various errors include Quicken Server error (CC-501), account may be closed (CC-506).

Usually Fix It and Try Again fix things, but occasionally not. This is extremely frustrating. I have a very reliable cable internet connection.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    Hello @Tominator,

Thank you for choosing to come to the Community to report the issues you are having, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this.

I would like to start off by asking you where your data file is located on your computer. You can find this easily by going to File>Show this file on my computer. This will open the file explorer with your currently open file highlighted in the window. You can copy the full pathway of the file out of the bar across the top and then paste it here.

Also, check to make sure that your data file is not being backed up or accessed by any third-party apps or cloud services.

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• Tominator
    Tominator Member ✭✭
    The Quicken data file is located at D:\Documents\Quicken\Geldner2021.QDF

Here is a typical logfile from a One Step Update. Generally 3 to 5 of my accounts are in this condition and I have to either use Fix It or Try Again depending on the error. It takes about 10-15 minutes to complete a One Step Update. It used to do it in about 3-5 minutes.

https://i.imgur.com/DpRQJQ8.png
  • Tominator
    Tominator Member ✭✭
    The D: drive is a separate hard drive from my system drive C:.
  • Quicken Alyssa
    edited January 14
    Hello again @Tominator,

Please move your Quicken data file back to the default location of This PC\C:\Users\Your User Name\Documents\Quicken.

Keeping your file on a separate drive than the software can cause damage to your data file. Please also make sure there is not a cloud service or third-party app accessing/backing up the file as this can also cause damage. 

You can, however, save backups on your D : drive or to a cloud.

Once you have moved your file back to the default location and excluded it from any auto-backups/syncs, you can open it from the new location by double-clicking on it. When the file opens, please run a Validation and Super Validation n the file. 

You can do this by going to File>Validate & Repair Quicken File...>Validate File>Ok. To Super Validate, File>CTRL+SHIFT+Validate & Repair Quicken File...>Super Validate>Ok. When you have completed both validations you will want to close and reopen Quicken.

Now run your OSU and if any errors come up resolve them the same as you have in the past. On the next OSU, you should not get returning errors.

Please let us know if these steps resolve your issue. 

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• Tominator
    Tominator Member ✭✭
    What???? My standard Windows Documents folder is on the second hard drive. I do NOT have a Documents folder under the Users folder for several reasons. It is an SSD and I keep the drive thrashing to a minimum. It also makes backups simpler since I can backup the entire D: drive in one shot rather than have to pick apart all the folders on my C: drive.

I have NEVER heard of Quicken having a problem with the data file being on a different drive (on the same PC) from the System drive. And it is NOT subject to any automated backup process. I'll give the Validate / SV thing a shot (again). This is a relatively recent problem and I've had Quicken configured this way for literally twenty years.
  • Tominator
    Tominator Member ✭✭
    OK so the Validate showed some minor errors (closed account reference). The first time I ran Super Validate, Quicken crashed. I sent the error report to Quicken. I restarted the PC and ran SV again. This time I got:

=================
    [Fri Jan 14 13:40:18 2022]

File: "D:\Documents\Quicken\G2021"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Fri Jan 14 13:41:30 2022]

[Fri Jan 14 13:41:30 2022]
    1 scheduled transactions corrected
    Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash/Transfer investment transactions updated: 4/0/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Super validation has completed.

=================

There are multiple references in these community forums to having the data file on a LOCAL hard drive other than System as being perfectly fine. So I really don't know what you are talking about Alyssa.
  • Tominator
    Tominator Member ✭✭
    Validate and Super Validate had little or no effect on the speed or accuracy of processing. I still get frequent errors on Quicken Server forcing me to "Try Again" (especially with San Diego County Credit Union and Navy Federal CU).
  • Quicken Alyssa
    @Tominator,

Thank you for the updates.

Did you move your file back to the default location? 

I understand having run it this way for years and even having heard something contradictory to what I told you, causing you confusion and even doubt. However, I can assure you that I have advised you correctly.

That being said, it is your choice whether or not you proceed as advised. If you decide to leave your file on the secondary drive, you will likely continue to have issues.

Quicken Alyssa

• Jmastrogiorgio
    Jmastrogiorgio Member ✭✭
    I have been experiencing the same issue with One Step Update taking forever. I have been killing the process on the assumption it was hung up. Now I see it is an issue others are experiencing. File location as a cause does not make any sense. My file has been in the same location in my drive forever. Nothing has changed on my side. What has changed on the quicken side? Is there an open ticket to resolve this issue?
This discussion has been closed.