US Treasury Bond Account

I'm surprised that there isn't a more specific means of recording in Quicken purchases of US Treasury Bonds from TreasuryDirect. I think you need to create an off-line "Brokerage" investment account for the bond purchases but I'm surprised that the account setup dialog doesn't suggest that. Kind of odd to label an account for holding Treasury Bonds as a brokerage account.

Even setting up a bond as a security is a bit convoluted. When you add the bond as security, you have to indicate that you "prefer to enter it manually" before you can find the security type of "US Savings Bond". Who would know that you need to prefer to enter a US savings bond manually? I think I have the bond account set up correctly as a "Brokerage" account in which I prefer to enter securities manually, but the process isn't intuitive and I only learned how to do that by searching the Quicken Community. Quicken Help wasn't much help in figuring out how to do this. If there is a better way to record US Treasury held bonds in Quicken, please let me know.
Quicken user since 1991, DOS version
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In sincerely doubt that the US Treasury is EVER going to sign the contract with Q/Intuit to become a "Participating Financial Institution" ... which is what it would take for this "Idea' to happen.
    And, an account holding ANY bonds (US Treas, Muni, Corporate, etc) IS by definition a brokerage account.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • BassMan
    BassMan Member ✭✭
    It doesn't matter if there is no "Treasury Quicken Contract with Intuit". The issue is buying bonds, such as I-Bonds where the denomination is whatever you want it to be (up to $10K). Each bond should be able be tracked separately, not by share balance. My Quicken R39.23 for Windows tries to track I-Bond shares, though purchases are at different amounts. I-Bonds are not "shares" based. They are based at whatever you want to buy it at... whether $100, $1000, or one bond for $10,000. There must be a better way. Please tell me I am missing something critical here.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    @BassMan Look up BONDS in Q Help. It's all explained there.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    [edited for clarity]

@BassMan
    I bond holdings may not be denominated in shares, but holdings in Quicken investment accounts are, so the way Quicken currently works, you need to use a workaround.

To track an I bond that you bought for $1234, you can set up an investing account called "I Bonds" or whatever you like.

If you choose to pay taxes as you go, you would create a security for the bond with a share price of $1.00 and buy 1,234 of them in the I Bonds account. When the bond pays interest, you record it as a ReinvInt transaction.

If you choose to delay paying tax on the interest until you cash in the bond, you could buy one "share" for $1234 and handle the interest and taxes as discussed here for ordinary savings bonds.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20203509
    QWin Premier subscription
  • The U.S. Treasury actually treats all savings bonds (Series I, Series EE) as a fractional multiple of a $25.00 bond, for the purpose of interest calculation. ($25.00 is also the minimum denomination for these bonds.)

The Treasury does publish the redeemable value of a $25.00 bond over time. You just need to filter on the type of bond, and the month/year in which it was purchased.
    https://fiscaldata.treasury.gov/datasets/savings-bond-value-files/savings-bonds-value-files

So it may be helpful to choose a $25.00 initial share price when entering these into Quicken. (A $1,234 bond could be entered as a purchase of 49.36 shares at $25.00/share.)