Previously reconciled months, are now not reconciling

I went to reconcile my credit card and the starting balance is wrong and it won't reconcile, so I started going back through the previous months and having gone back 6 months still can't find where it went wrong. How do I figure this out. Or, since I only care about 2021, how do I correct the first 2021 month so that going forward it's correct?

This, coincidentally, happened AFTER I downloaded the most recent update. I have Quicken Deluxe 2019 for windows
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • CoachDebra
    CoachDebra Member
    I did that - went back over a year to 2020 and couldn't find it. It's not worth the time. So I'm just going to start at the beginning of 2021 and just do a journal entry to make it reconcile - here's my question, though. If, when quicken does it's auto-reconcile and there's a remainder (which is how you know the starting balance is wrong). If the remainder is negative do I make the journal entry a credit for the same amount? A debit for the same amount? Any thoughts - I mean I could just try different numbers until it zeros out, but that's a PITA. :)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did that - went back over a year to 2020 and couldn't find it. It's not worth the time. So I'm just going to start at the beginning of 2021 and just do a journal entry to make it reconcile - here's my question, though. If, when quicken does it's auto-reconcile and there's a remainder (which is how you know the starting balance is wrong). If the remainder is negative do I make the journal entry a credit for the same amount? A debit for the same amount? Any thoughts - I mean I could just try different numbers until it zeros out, but that's a PITA. :)
    If you printed the register to files as suggested, you should find it.  There are variety of ways you may compare the text files on Windows to view the differences.  I never recommend entering an adjustment transaction unless you understand why you're entering it. 
  • CoachDebra
    CoachDebra Member
    It may be years old. I frankly don't have time to go through thousands of transactions. I just need to make it work from January 2021. If you want to come over and spend 5 hours looking for it, be my guest. I run a business and I'm in grad school. I don't have time. I just need to be able to reconcile going forward. But thanks anyway.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    It may be years old. I frankly don't have time to go through thousands of transactions. I just need to make it work from January 2021. If you want to come over and spend 5 hours looking for it, be my guest. I run a business and I'm in grad school. I don't have time. I just need to be able to reconcile going forward. But thanks anyway.
    [Removed - Disruptive]
  • CoachDebra
    CoachDebra Member
    edited January 14
    [Removed - Disruptive] I've already spent about 3 hours doing exactly what you recommended without finding the missing transaction - I went back a full year. [Removed - Disruptive]
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Removed - Disruptive] I've already spent about 3 hours doing exactly what you recommended without finding the missing transaction - I went back a full year. [Removed - Disruptive]
    You have not yet done what I suggested because it takes it only takes a couple of minutes to print the registers to text files and compare the entire running balance to determine where a difference appears.  Good luck.