Add tags to accounts

Let's assume you can add tags to accounts (not transactions but accounts). I tag all of the accounts I have in Fidelity with the Fidelity tag. Now, I could go to my Investment and select the Fidelity tag in place of All accounts or specific accounts and would see the same as if I had picked all of those accounts by hand.

I could go to Report and instead of picking individual accounts, pick a tag and it would effectively pick all of those accounts.
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't understand. In the Portfolio, you can already select one account or any combination of accounts in the filter. In a Report, you can select any one or combination of accounts. Why would you want a tag to do the same thing?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    To be quicker and more convenient.  e.g. I need to pick 8 accounts for the view I want in Investments.  I don't want to pick the same 8 each week I want to look at that particular view.  I'd prefer to just pick one tag.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    To be quicker and more convenient.  e.g. I need to pick 8 accounts for the view I want in Investments.  I don't want to pick the same 8 each week I want to look at that particular view.  I'd prefer to just pick one tag.
    Got it; thanks for the added explanation.

I think at least half the answer will come if/when the developers create a way to build investment reports. Presumably, users will be able to specify the accounts, groupings, and columns they want and save them like existing saved reports. 

But that won't solve the issue with the Portfolio view. I think rather than adding a whole new account tags mechanism, they just need to create a better account selector interface for the Portfolio. I don't believe account tags exist in Quicken Windows or Quicken mobile, so adding it as a Mac-only attribute seems unlikely to me. But I do see the need for, and opportunity for, an easy way to select multiple accounts (possibly including being able to create custom account groups) in the Portfolio screen user interface. I'd definitely be in favor of a feature like that, and prefer it more than account tags. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The way this is done on Quicken Windows for the portfolio is "views".

There are a few bult-in ones (that can be modified) and several "Custom" ones.
    Basically, each is an independent portfolio.  Selecting a different one selects a "Group by" and a set of accounts, securities and display columns, which are access/change by selecting the Customize button.

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/