does resetting a bank account have anything to do with the cloud?

mtatwo
mtatwo Member ✭✭
every time I reset the account to get it to download transactions (was getting cc-506 error) I get many duplicate transactions dating back a few months.

how to fix and prevent from having to reset the account?

thanks.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mtatwo,

It makes sense that you would be seeing older duplicate transactions when you deactivate and then reactivate an account in Quicken, because Quicken is effectively seeing this as a new account and as such will download as many of the past transactions as are available from the financial institution.  The way to avoid this is to not deactivate the account in the first place.  However I do understand that there seem to be ongoing issues if you are seeing that CC-506 error message frequently.

What method are you using to download transactions for this account?  Do you have other accounts in Quicken for this financial institution, and do you receive similar errors for them?  What download method do you use for this account?

Frankx  

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    Frankx said:
    Hi @mtatwo,

It makes sense that you would be seeing older duplicate transactions when you deactivate and then reactivate an account in Quicken, because Quicken is effectively seeing this as a new account and as such will download as many of the past transactions as are available from the financial institution.  The way to avoid this is to not deactivate the account in the first place.  However I do understand that there seem to be ongoing issues if you are seeing that CC-506 error message frequently.

What method are you using to download transactions for this account?  Do you have other accounts in Quicken for this financial institution, and do you receive similar errors for them?  What download method do you use for this account?

Frankx  
    One doesn't have to deactivate the account to get duplicates, just resetting it will do it.  And it isn't the "normal behavior" to get duplicates even if you deactivate and reactivate the account.

This "behavior" is caused by a bug that Intuit has refused to fix from day one that they created Express Web Connect with converting from other formats than when the financial institution provides the information in QFX format.

The way Quicken detects duplicate transactions is by looking at the unique Id for the transaction.  If you want to see it in Quicken turn on the Downloaded ID column in an account register.  Quicken stores all of these unique Ids for any given account.  If it sees the same transaction with that unique Id, it will skip it.

Clearly if the unique Id changes, Quicken will think it is a new transaction and put it in the register as a duplicate transaction.  Most financial institutions are very good at this and generate unique Ids that won't change for any given transaction no matter what you do in Quicken.  So, short of deleting the account in Quicken, you don't get duplicate transactions with these unique Ids.

Here is an example of what Intuit generates:

The flaw in this Id is that what they are doing is the generate a "seed number' for your data that they keep on their server, instead of using the data itself to generate a unique id that will be the same every time.  And when you do a Reset or a Deactivate they reset that "seed number" so you get a whole new set of unique Ids. When you Reset an account and get duplicates, look at this Downloaded ID, and you will see that they have changed, and you will also find that it is only the ones starting with INTUIT that do this.
    Note for financial institution changing connection methods might do the same thing even if the financial institution is providing the unique Ids.

Another flaw in Intuit's generation of unique Ids is that if you more than one transaction that is identical like say paying the toll on a bridge both going to work and back (which is one of the reports on this), Intuit will generate the same unique Id for both transactions, and as such Quicken will skip the second one on that day.

Here is an example of how USAA does it:

What you are looking at is first a date, and then a counter for each transaction on that date.

It isn't really important what characters make up the unique Id, just that they are unique and that it generates the same id every time for the same transaction.

EDIT:  Ironically one might use this bug to workaround a bug/missing feature in Quicken.  There are cases of people deleting downloaded transactions and wanting to download/import them again.  Given that Quicken remembers the unique Id even if you delete the transaction, it will always skip these downloaded transactions.  Quicken should really provide an option to override this behavior for this use case, but in an account like this, one could just Reset the account and let Intuit's bug generate new unique Ids so that they get all the transactions again.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mtatwo
    mtatwo Member ✭✭
    My subscription is up for renewal. If this issue keeps recurring, and there is no real fix for it, and it will happen again down the road, I don't see a point in renewing the subscription.
This discussion has been closed.