Subscription version updates - then won't load data files

johmily
johmily Member ✭✭
Today when I launched quicken, it ran an update real quick then tried to launch. It will not fully load. I've restarted the computer and tried multiple times. I even went and manually downloaded the latest update and ran it and it installed correctly. Windows Event viewer is showing an application hang. Please advise.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    Well, that sort of worked for a few seconds. Re-installed, got to the point of signing into my account, then froze up again. Had to kill the application and relaunch, now it's in the same state as before. Next idea?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    johmily said:
    Well, that sort of worked for a few seconds. Re-installed, got to the point of signing into my account, then froze up again. Had to kill the application and relaunch, now it's in the same state as before. Next idea?
    I suggest you try opening a backup of the Quicken file saved prior to the update.  
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    I have many backups. I tried to launch one from January 10th. It asks me where to restore to, I pick a location, then it appears to just hang up.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    johmily said:
    I have many backups. I tried to launch one from January 10th. It asks me where to restore to, I pick a location, then it appears to just hang up.
    Does the Quicken file appear at the location you provided?
    Will the Quicken program open without loading a Quicken file (press the Ctrl key)?
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    If I hold down ctrl-shift while opening, it does open quicken with only file and help menus. If I try to open the data file, it hangs up.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    johmily said:
    If I hold down ctrl-shift while opening, it does open quicken with only file and help menus. If I try to open the data file, it hangs up.
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Troubleshoot+a+damaged+Quicken+data+file
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock I have tried two different backups that were working. The results are the same every time. I can open in safe mode, but I cannot open the data file. I've never had an issue like this until the update the other day.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    johmily said:
    @Sherlock I have tried two different backups that were working. The results are the same every time. I can open in safe mode, but I cannot open the data file. I've never had an issue like this until the update the other day.
    As safe mode works, I suggest you try to determine which service is triggering the issue by enabling them incrementally.
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand what services you are referring to. Everything was working fine until Quicken updated. My Windows install hasn't changed. I don't believe this to be related to my Windows install since the non-working state was related to a Quicken update.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    johmily said:
    I'm not sure I understand what services you are referring to. Everything was working fine until Quicken updated. My Windows install hasn't changed. I don't believe this to be related to my Windows install since the non-working state was related to a Quicken update.
    I thought you said Quicken opens the file in safe mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234.   If that is not what you meant, I (again) suggest you review: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Troubleshoot+a+damaged+Quicken+data+file
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    Quicken launches in what I saw referred to as the quicken safe mode (opening by holding down Ctrl-Shift). Not launching Windows in Safe mode.
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    I've gone through that list you sent. It still does not work.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

When you say "safe mode", do you mean starting Windows in Safe Mode or starting Quicken without opening a data file?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek I opened quicken without a data file. Not Windows safe mode as there seems to be no issues with Windows. The only problem I have is opening quicken with the data file, which happened after the latest quicken update. I'm not using Onedrive, dropbox, or google backup. The data files are local to my computer. Defender is not blocking anything. Windows Event viewer says that the application is hanging.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited January 17
    It could be something in Windows that's causing Quicken to hang. I would suggest starting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking and then trying Quicken.
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    Alright, I humored you, even though I did not believe it was tied to Windows at all. I restarted in safe mode with networking and have the same results. trying multiple data files including past ones that have worked before results in the application hanging up.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I would then suggest using QCleanUI to remove Quicken and download a new copy of the Quicken installation program. Put your computer in Airplane Mode and install Quicken without internet access so that Quicken won't update. Try opening your data file with that version of Quicken.

Using QcleanUI to resolve issues installing or uninstalling Quicken for Windows

https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    Alright, I can try that, however, i see a flaw in the logic. Once I get quicken installed, I will have to sign in. I can't sign in without internet access. Last time I reinstalled, it did fine up until I signed in and then it hung up.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Please just try it.
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    Yes, but as I said, I can't sign in unless I enable internet access, which you yourself said would allow Quicken to update, which seems to possibly be causing the problem. I've already reinstalled once.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Most sure your UAC level is set to Medium or higher so you can stop the Quicken update and then reenable your internet connection.
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek The clean seems to have worked...at least getting quicken launched. I can open data files and it is not hanging up...however, it's not wanting to sync with most of my accounts. It's saying that there's a new version to download...which has me worried that if I download the new version, I'll be in the same boat I was in before.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Can you sync each FI individually?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17
    johmily said:
    @Greg_the_Geek The clean seems to have worked...at least getting quicken launched. I can open data files and it is not hanging up...however, it's not wanting to sync with most of my accounts. It's saying that there's a new version to download...which has me worried that if I download the new version, I'll be in the same boat I was in before.
    I suggest you attempt to determine which release breaks your ability to open the Quicken file by applying the appropriate Mondo patch.  Once you're at that release, I suggest you attempt the Copy and Validate instructions as described in https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows to determine if the Quicken corruption may be corrected so that you may upgrade further.
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    Well, I've already wasted my entire weekend messing with this, so why shouldn't I spend time finding your problem instead of Quicken admitting there's an issue, so yes, I ran the update again. Guess what? It broke again! Surprised? Obviously there is an issue and you need to pull that update. Now even my non-updated version doesn't work because it won't sync correctly. I can re-add my account details, but rather than fixing the sync, it adds it as a new account with no details filled back out. What a waste of my time and what I mess. I need some help to get this working. If all I'm doing is finding your bugs, you may as well pay me for it.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    johmily said:
    Well, I've already wasted my entire weekend messing with this, so why shouldn't I spend time finding your problem instead of Quicken admitting there's an issue, so yes, I ran the update again. Guess what? It broke again! Surprised? Obviously there is an issue and you need to pull that update. Now even my non-updated version doesn't work because it won't sync correctly. I can re-add my account details, but rather than fixing the sync, it adds it as a new account with no details filled back out. What a waste of my time and what I mess. I need some help to get this working. If all I'm doing is finding your bugs, you may as well pay me for it.
    It's not our problem.  We're just other users try to help you figure out your issue.

I'm not surprised you're having issues if you updated again. 

Please tell us which version are you using: select Help > About Quicken.

Note: R37.x is a staged release.  We're still at R36.38.
  • johmily
    johmily Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock My apologies, thank you for trying to help. I ended up calling support yesterday. They had me try various backup files. Quicken has been auto-backing up and I've done my own backups. The latest backup that actually opens is nearly a year old. I was told that they can't do anything, and that my file was corrupt. That I'd just have to restore from that old backup and go from there. So basically I'm done with Quicken. I've had multiple issues in the past where I've had to recreate several week's worth of data, but this is the last straw. If the software isn't any better than this at verifying backups, then it's kind of pointless. I do appreciate you assisting me.
  • mihran_tuceryan
    mihran_tuceryan Member ✭✭
    I have the exact same issue. Version 36.57 works on the current file I have. Any version after that hangs while trying to open the file. I've been looking to see if newer versions may have fixed the problem. But the other day, the update to 38.29 was released. Same thing. I have to roll back and use the older versions for it to work. I am starting to feel like johmily.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the exact same issue. Version 36.57 works on the current file I have. Any version after that hangs while trying to open the file. I've been looking to see if newer versions may have fixed the problem. But the other day, the update to 38.29 was released. Same thing. I have to roll back and use the older versions for it to work. I am starting to feel like johmily.
    If you haven't already, prior to updating to updating the Quicken program, you might try performing the Copy and Validate instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
This discussion has been closed.