Is it just me or are there more problems

Jph317
Jph317 Member
after being a 15+ year user of Quicken - Is it just me or does it seem that Quicken is having more problems in the past year and half. I am tired of continually down loading different versions and interim fixes. I just want to open it and have it work. Does anyone have any other software that is comparable that doesn't have so many issues?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the number of problems is probably about the same in the subscription release as it had been in the annual release.  As I recall, the annual release would usually be published in Fall and would not be stable until Spring.  The good news was everyone didn't have to upgrade to the annual release while it was unstable.  Similarly, everyone doesn't have to upgrade to the staged or hot fix subscription releasesUnfortunately, we need to monitor the stability of the subscription releases ourselves.  Note: We're still at R36.38.

As to other personal finance programs, they're verboten from discussion in this community.  I will say, you need to decide the functionality you require and desire.  At this time, Quicken still meets our needs.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    I think the number of problems is probably about the same in the subscription release as it had been in the annual release.  As I recall, the annual release would usually be published in Fall and would not be stable until Spring.  The good news was everyone didn't have to upgrade to the annual release while it was unstable.  Similarly, everyone doesn't have to upgrade to the staged or hot fix subscription releasesUnfortunately, we need to monitor the stability of the subscription releases ourselves.  Note: We're still at R36.38.

As to other personal finance programs, they're verboten from discussion in this community.  I will say, you need to decide the functionality you require and desire.  At this time, Quicken still meets our needs.
    This is an interesting observation, and I think I agree with.  I remember when they proudly announced that they were now "agile" (so people know, it is a development process that advocates a continues integrate/build cycling).  This was years before Quicken Subscription, but it was the start of continuous patching throughout the year, instead of yearly release and patch to fix, cycling.   When your process isn't 100% "going faster" just results in being "unstable" most of the time, making it very hard for the customer to decide when to accept patches.

My "defense" in this is really picking the features in Quicken that I know are pretty stable and sticking with them, so that most of the changes in patches that are causing other people problems don't affect me.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • msmith99usa
    msmith99usa Member ✭✭✭
    It is probably too late to help me now, but I would like to (1) know how to NOT accept a release when it is first presented, (2) have a list of all releases, by date, so that I can select which release might be stable enough for me to risk downloading and installing. Addressing and reacting to all the "patches" over the past 2+ years, patches that have not be fully vetted...well..it is not why I have been a Quicken User since 1988
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is probably too late to help me now, but I would like to (1) know how to NOT accept a release when it is first presented, (2) have a list of all releases, by date, so that I can select which release might be stable enough for me to risk downloading and installing. Addressing and reacting to all the "patches" over the past 2+ years, patches that have not be fully vetted...well..it is not why I have been a Quicken User since 1988
    1. To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
    2. The Quicken Moderators maintain the product release announcements in: https://community.quicken.com/categories/quickencommunity_product_releases_and_announcements_windows 
    What we do is bookmark a new release announcement and follow the updates to the page.  
This discussion has been closed.