After installing an update, Quicken is suddenly asking for a data file password

JNickels
JNickels Member
I recently installed an update to version R37.67, build 27.1.37.67. I'm running Windows 10 Home. After the update Quicken is suddenly asking for a data file password. Of course, I can't remember the data file password, so now I can't get into Quicken. Nothing happens when I click on the "Forgot Password?" link. Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea how to resolve it?

Comments

• Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Moderator mod
    Hello, @JNickels I do apologize that you're experiencing this issue. Can you please try opening a backup and seeing if this resolves it? Thank you! 
    - Quicken Jade
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JNickels said:   After the update Quicken is suddenly asking for a data file password.
    just to clarify - did the Quicken data file HAVE a previous password that YOU created at some point in time -
    you would have been prompted each and every time you opened that specific Quicken data file .
    OR - do you mean that it NEVER had a password,
    and now you are seeing the password prompt for a non-existing password
    which of course you would have no way of knowing ?
    This is a Quicken BUG that was discovered awhile ago -
    and the only recourse is to find a Quicken backup and Restore and try to open it ....

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • JNickels
    JNickels Member
    Yes, let me clarify. My data file never had a password and now I am seeing a prompt for a password I never set. I was able to restore a backup from 3 weeks ago and am now able to get in, but of course, now I've lost 3 weeks of data, which really sucks. Is there anything I can do from running into this bug again?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JNickels said:
    Yes, let me clarify. My data file never had a password and now I am seeing a prompt for a password I never set. I was able to restore a backup from 3 weeks ago and am now able to get in, but of course, now I've lost 3 weeks of data, which really sucks. Is there anything I can do from running into this bug again?
    My understanding of this particular issue is it only impacts Quicken files that do not have data file password set.  Therefore, to prevent running into this bug again, I suggest you set a data file password.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah - we've seen the same comments..... ADD a password to prevent one randomly getting set.
    Also - I would check your Quicken P--> Edit --> Preferences --> Backup
    and make sure you are creating frequent Quicken auto-backups and then several Quicken manual backups that are then manually copied off the hard disk to "something else" ....
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
This discussion has been closed.