Ongoing Schwab issues

Despite hours on phone with Quicken support, constantly updating Quicken and reading the known issues, Schwab accounts are just not interfacing properly with Quicken. I use 2 date files in quicken one for taxable accounts and one for tax deferred. The taxable account only has Schwab accounts under a single Schwab ID. The main problem is the tax deferred file with my wife and I having 2 separate accounts that we try to follow in quicken. There are 2 separate schwab IDs and my ID also has the taxable accounts. This was never a problem for quicken before the loss of direct connect. Account updates with Schwab consistently put info into the wrong accounts listed in quicken and require multiple reauthentications.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we can get a update from Quicken IT Department, or the CEO, on what they are doing and what Schwab is doing to fix the "Schwab" mess and an estimate of the time frame to resolve it??  It has been over 2 months now.  
    Windows 10 and Windows 11 (separate computers)..... Quicken Premier 20+ year user
  • kenm44
    kenm44 Member ✭✭
    BTW I maybe in wrong place as I am currently using quicken for mac though also a 20 year plus quicken user even ran on virtual drive with windows on mac. Getting pretty close to moving from Quicken to a new platform based on this fiasco and intermittent problems with other bank and investment accounts though non as severe as Schwab
  • benjayamen
    benjayamen Member
    I'm also a 20+ year quicken user and I pay annually for their software. I have issues not only with Schwab transactions/synchronization, but also with some Fidelity account downloads as well (unable to edit or even view transaction info). Is there any chance they're going to fix this issue, or will this forever be an ongoing problem? Seems like things really went downhill after Intuit sold this branch of their company.
  • ToddL53
    ToddL53 Member
    Perhaps Schwab could create a QFX (quicken web connect file) for each account. It is odd that that file format is not available for download from Schwab, it seems relatively ubiquitous elsewhere. The quicken support for this issue is clearly not sufficient.
  • rl.wetzel
    rl.wetzel Member ✭✭
    My subscription to Quicken was recently auto renewed and I'm already regretting it. There seems to be no fix for the Quicken/Schwab problems. All the investment transactions (Divs, Reinvest, etc) still come in as only deposits or withdrawals. I spend as much time correcting them as I would doing manual entry.
    All we here from Quicken on a fix is crickets.
  • hcrow2
    hcrow2 Member ✭✭
    I was overly optimistic in my last comment. I was able, with 4 hours of Quicken Support help, to download some of my Schwab account's data. However, I have not been able to do it again despite trying everything except deactivating and reactivating which is an option which makes Quicken useless anyway, even if it did work.
    So, we are essentially back to where we were 5 updates ago on November 16th when all this started. Schwab accounts cannot be updated, and some cannot even be accessed.
    After 25 years, a sad end to what was a great product.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    I had a conversation with Schwab IT department today.  I ask them if Schwab would think about going back to Direct Connect until this mess can get fixed.  They said definitely not.  They said the data is correctly sent to Quicken and not being correctly seen in Quicken.  Don't know who to believe any more.  But I solved the Schwab issue till they fix it.  I no longer download anything from Schwab, and do not accept any updates to Quicken software.  SAD to say....  Schwab said they hoped it would be fixed by the end of January... I too hope so....  

Windows 10 and Windows 11 (separate computers)..... Quicken Premier 20+ year user
  • Thewhale
    Thewhale Member
    I too am a quicken user for over 30 years, and have been spoiled with the auto downloads which came about however many years ago that was. I have multiple accounts that I have at Schwab as an individual, and as a Trustee of many other accounts, all controlled by one log in id at Schwab. I have a quicken file for each different entity. Problem is, when I get one account working with these new updates, all the other files ask me to reauthorize when I try to update the file...kind of like an infinite loop, with the most recent reauthorized file being the Schwab files which are clicked when I do the deactiiveate, wipe of schwab info, and reactive process. There has to be a flaw in Schwab's security system that does not allow you to have multiple files in quicken for the differing accounts. I thought I was losing my mind as I thought everything was working fine...and then it was not. Called tech support and they confirmed I was not losing my mind and now that I see this community am glad to know you are not either!
    I primarily blame Schwab on this one though as they must be doing something on their software or security no other financial company is doing (and I work with 13-14 of them), and it does not seem they ever checked to see if it worked before forcing us to spend countless hours and even days trying to see why the software was not working...only to find it is on their side.
    Hoping for a fix!!
  • AJA
    AJA Member ✭✭
    I have this issue as well. It is very frustrating, and makes me concerned that eventually I will lose account information.
    If Quicken folks are monitoring these posts, please communicate that these issues are still outstanding. You did that for a while then stopped. I was hoping that meant the issue was resolved. Unfortunately not.
    I understand that this is probably an issue on the Schwab side, but communication to your customers would be appreciated.
  • markgreby
    markgreby Member
    Another over twenty year user. I have not had my Schwab transactions updated since mid-November. Prices do seem to update. I have followed all the instructions on Quicken - multiple times. Schwab checked and said all my permissions are set. I called Quicken, and they said follow the online instructions for updating. Which I have done, even though their site locks up on the instructions.

Quicken, please let us know what is going on.
  • JSCooper
    JSCooper Member
    come on Quicken!! will you please help all of us Schwab account holders!!! please don't force us to choose between Schwab and Quicken.
  • Zac
    Zac Member
    Ditto the above. I'll probably keep basic Quicken for simple bank accounts, but it's useless w Schwab for the past 6 months.
  • Tom Scott
    Tom Scott Member ✭✭
    The only way I can download Schwab data is to Deactivate and reconnect.
  • kenm44
    kenm44 Member ✭✭
    In case Quicken monitors this how about extending subscriptions at no charge (for those of us on this plan) starting in November until whenever you get this fixed!
  • CaptRon53
    CaptRon53 Member ✭✭
    edited February 1
    My Schwab brokerage accounts started downloading transactions normally today. Running R38.26 and all of my end of month Div transactions for January downloaded during OSU today. This has been broken since Nov 16, 2021. Hopefully this is finally fixed.

One thing I did was reset my cloud data as suggested by Quicken admin:

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest resetting your cloud data and see if that may make a difference, though I do recommend saving a backup of your data file prior to performing any troubleshooting attempts (just in case). Please follow the steps below in order to do so.

Navigate to Edit
    Preferences...
    Mobile & Web
    Click on Reset your cloud data
    On the following screen you can leave the preselected option for "No, just reset my Cloud data", type Yes in the entry field to confirm, and click Reset

Once that is done, see if the issue still persists.
  • Tom Scott
    Tom Scott Member ✭✭
    Running R37.67 (Windows 11).
    Check for updates: "You have the latest version of Quicken"
    Did cloud reset.

Still no Schwab downloads.
  • dryfork
    dryfork Member ✭✭
    Mine is limping along. I used the "temporary fix" back in December and got most transactions but had to re-code most of them. I just check my Schwab accounts against Quicken for January. It downloaded a little under 1/2 of the transactions spread across 4 difference Schwab accounts. Really curious why it would capture some and not others, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the transaction type. I guess they are still tinkering with the promised "January Fix".
  • peterfnyc
    peterfnyc Member ✭✭
    edited February 3
    I have been having problems updating from Schwab, too. [Removed - Solicitation]
  • jeffb
    jeffb Member ✭✭
    edited February 2
    Called quicken to ask for help with still not getting all transactions downloaded. They copped an attitude right off the bat and told me I need to call Schwab and ask them why they changed to express web connect. They can't help me. [Removed - Speculation/Unhelpful]
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2
    What????  Quicken Support did that???  HEY Quicken, how about an update on this Swab Mess???  Your CEO said we would be informed better... 

See my January 23 commen here... asked for an update then also....
  • Tom Scott
    Tom Scott Member ✭✭
    edited February 3
    > @peterfnyc said:
    > I have been having problems updating from Schwab, too. [Removed - Solicitation]

I successfully used the newest version called [Removed - Solicitation] to convert the csv transaction download from Schwab to to QIF file to import. It took a bit of time to get it right. The main thing is to set up renaming rules for both the Security Name and Investment Action. The security name that Quicken uses comes from their lookup of the Ticker Symbol. The name that Schwab uses is different. There has to be an exact match with the Security Name. Exported a .qif transaction list from my Schwab account so I could cut and paste to the renaming rules. Quicken also uses different Investment Action descriptions, Cash Dividend in Schwab is Div in Quicken. The list is here: [Removed - Link]. The other thing you have to do is to make sure that the top row of the CSV file are the column titles and to delete any rows that do not include a transaction, e.g. Total.

It is a lot of work to get set up. Also, it does not do as good a job as Quicken normally does with direct download from Schwab.

One final Caveat. Make sure you don't accidently import the qif file twice. I ended up doing this and had to go in delete the duplicates.
  • Tom Scott
    Tom Scott Member ✭✭
    Quicken for Windows updated to R38.29 today and my Schwab transactions downloaded. The download was much more accurate than my csv to qif download yesterday. It also downloaded a bunch transactions form November that I had already reconciled. This whole Schwab mess has been a huge time-sink. I hope they finally got it right.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tom Scott said:
    Quicken for Windows updated to R38.29 today and my Schwab transactions downloaded. The download was much more accurate than my csv to qif download yesterday. It also downloaded a bunch transactions form November that I had already reconciled. This whole Schwab mess has been a huge time-sink. I hope they finally got it right.
    Will monitor this update for a while before updating my Quicken to R38.29.... making sure it works for others first.... THX for the info....
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Seems Quicken R38.29 is not listed as a Mondo yet....
  • Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Another Quicken 20+ year user...updated to R38.29...and now get the error message NO ELIGIBLE ACCOUNTS AVAILBLE TO LINK. when trying to connect to Schwab. Hello Quicken...it is still not working. Schwab says this is happening to Quicken users outside the US.
  • hcrow2
    hcrow2 Member ✭✭
    I am up to date with updates and still cannot update Schwab accounts. I am not going to ask for help because all I do is get a 4-hour work-around which does not fix the problem. I use a VPN in US to avoid the international excuse - it is still not working!
  • JonCaddy
    JonCaddy Member ✭✭
    To me, R38.29 is just another buggy version. The new version still does not download new transactions, and the release note makes no mention of Schwab issues.
  • Tom Scott
    Tom Scott Member ✭✭
    > @JonCaddy said:
    > To me, R38.29 is just another buggy version. The new version still does not download new transactions, and the release note makes no mention of Schwab issues.

This update worked for me today. It downloaded the new transactions since the last time I went through the Deactivate and Activate cycle. The transactions were more accurate the my effort to convert a csv list of transactions to qif using the software that shall not be named.
  • peterfnyc
    peterfnyc Member ✭✭
    This new release today fixed my Schwab download/sync issues. All my accounts appear to sync correctly (so far). I sync with Chase, Elan, Amex, Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard, and Merrill Lynch. (I know, that's too many financial institutions!)