Account deposit should default to deposit column

Currently, it appears a deposit will default to the column that matches the action last associated with the Payee name. Sometimes I a pay a person; sometimes they pay me; how about Quicken trusts me, when I mark something as a deposit, I really mean it. So default to the correct column. This would save me from errors.
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you have memorized a payee with a certain amount (either payment or deposit) and now you are reusing the memorized payee.  Quicken is going to just use what you field/amount you set.  If you don't want Quicken to pick and amount for that memorized payee then you should memorize it with a zero amount.  Note that Quicken isn't really picking the "field", negative amounts go into "payment", and positive amounts go into "deposit".

If this is in reference to a downloaded transaction, and the downloaded transaction has put DEP (Deposit) in the Check field, then Quicken is going to "follow" what the financial institutions sent, and yes it will jump to the Deposit field when you are tabbing through the fields, instead going through the Payment field first.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dktz
    dktz Member ✭✭
    It is a memorized payee - all my payees are memorized. But not a memorized amount, at least I didn't set it up that way unless it defaults to do that. Not a scheduled transaction. Not a downloaded transaction.
    In checking or savings accounts, if you tab through the fields starting with the date, you can pick "deposit" after entering the date. Then pick "deposit", then the payee. If the last action with this payee was giving them money , then that's what shows up. Not a deposit, although that is what I selected. What is the point of having a deposit column if I should enter a negative or positive amount? And Quicken doesn't work that way for me - I mean your comment about negative and positive amounts. I enter outgoing money as a positive number into the Payment column, and incoming money as a positive number into the deposit column. Which is, by the way, exactly how I believe most people do it in their checkbooks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you pick Deposit in the Check Number field, it is going to lock out the payment field when tabbing between fields.  Don’t enter Deposit in that field (just tab over it) and then when you are tabbing it will first go to payment and then to deposit.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/