Simplify data entry (Q Mac)

Jim2h
Jim2h Member
edited January 27 in Product Enhancements (Mac)
When adding an entry you have to use the command to make and entry. Then you often have to change the date to to the current date. For example, if the last time I made and enter on a specific account on 1/20/22 and went to add a new entry on 1/26/22, It would come up 1/20/22.

Next, why can't Quicken automatically open a line for a new entry when it is selected and eliminate the need to give a command to open an account?

Many things that simplified Quicken in the 2007 version are missing. I really wish Intuit would go back look over how that version worked. Making reports was so much simpler and intuitive.
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Jim2h When you enter a transaction in a register, the next new transaction will default to the same date. For most people, this is preferable to having the date default to today every time; if you're entering multiple transactions from the past week or month, it would be annoying to have to type the date each time. Quicken retains the just-recently-used date for your current session, but if you quit Quicken and come back to it, the date of a new transaction will always default to today's date.

In your example, you want to enter one transaction in the past and the next transaction on today's date. Perhaps one of the most useful keyboard commands to know in all of Quicken Mac is to press 't' in any date field to have it switch to today's date. So you'd enter your transaction on 1/20/22, and as you start the next entry, just touch 't' and the date will pop back to today. 

As for always having an open, empty transaction like Quicken 2007, the developers have explained that methodology doesn't work well with the current design of Quicken's database, so they're unlikely to try to create a way to emulate the past behavior. However, if you're entering multiple transactions, it's really no more steps than in the past once you adapt to pressing Command-N (new transaction) at the end of entering a transaction, instead of Return. That is, you can press Return to save a transaction and then press Command-N (or the New button) to start the next transaction — but you can keep this to a single keystroke if you press Command-N to save the current transaction and open a new transaction in one step. So in Quicken 2007, you pressed Return to save a transaction and create a new one; in Quicken Mac, you press Command-N to save a transaction and create a new one. I admit it does take some time to retrain your brain and fingers to think Command-N instead of Return, but once it becomes habit, it's just as quick a single keystroke as you've been used to in the past.

As for reports, I suggest you start a separate thread about what things you find difficult about creating reports in Quicken Mac currently. Lumping multiple enhancements together in a single thread makes it likely some will get lost in discussion.

P.S. Intuit hasn't owned Quicken for the past 6 years. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993