Quicken crashing on startup

rhiguera
rhiguera Member ✭✭
Just spent some significant time in chat with tech support, but we weren't able to resolve anything.

Quicken has been crashing at start-up or soon after since the last update. Inconsistency as to when would indicate some kind of memory allocation issue. A fresh reboot helps. But I don't always want to do that.

What we've determined is that I have a HUGE QDF file. I'm wondering how it compares to others.

-> How big is your file?
-> Is Quicken working well for you?

I've been using Quicken since at least 1996, and the file size is now 408,314 KB. But I also have a lot of RAM at 32 GB. So what's going on?

Comments

• Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    Hello @rhiguera,

Thank you for coming to the Community to investigate further the issues you are currently having. I just wanted to stop in and mention a couple of things that pertain to your inquiry. 

Data corruption seems to happen for many different reasons. Sometimes a file has been used for many years or is very large in size. Sometimes the file has been moved around a lot from computer to computer over time. Most often in my experience, file damage occurs when you use your file while it is stored somewhere other than the computer's local drive. Another common one seems to be files that are open in Quicken getting accessed or backed up by third-party apps or cloud services.

There are a number of ways things like this can happen. From the sounds of it though, your file lived a long life. You can try cutting down the file size by archiving some previous years of data. 

Quicken Alyssa

This discussion has been closed.