Why do some downloaded transactions for checks match to credit card transactions by amount?

Mothertrh
Mothertrh Member ✭✭
When I use Express Web Connect to download all my bank transactions into my Quicken accounts, about 1 or 2 transactions a month that have identical amounts will match up wrong. The written check transaction merges into a credit card transaction that matches the amount often times several months out. This results in no transaction for the check in the month it was processed. I only find it by searching by check number. Note that I have absolutely no transactions in the Quicken account for the time period that I download prior to the download. This has been happening for several years and it leaves me with possibly missing a transaction that I need for tax reporting. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    How do you have checks & credit card transactions in the same account?
    Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Mothertrh You profile says you are a Quicken Windows subscriber and you used the term "Express Web Connect" which is a Windows-only term. However, you posted in a Quicken for Mac category. What version of Quicken are you using?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Mothertrh
    Mothertrh Member ✭✭
    I meant checks and debit card transactions from a bank checking account. I thought I was in a Windows group, so if not, do I need to start over in the Windows area?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Mothertrh said:
    I meant checks and debit card transactions from a bank checking account. I thought I was in a Windows group, so if not, do I need to start over in the Windows area?
    No, you don't. A Community moderator has already recategorized this discussion to Windows.
    As to checks not being recognized and matched properly ... do the downloaded transactions contain the check numbers?
    There was a recent issue with check numbers of paper checks not being downloaded together with their transactions, making it difficult to create or match to register transactions. IIRC, this was supposed to have been fixed in one of the latest R 37.xx releases.
    What is your Quicken release number (R xx.xx), as shown when you click Help / About Quicken?

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to what @UKR stated, you should make certain you have auto add transactions set to OFF (unchecked) if not already. You do not want Quicken to decide transaction entry for you. You need to be in control. You will then be able to review each transaction before adding to the register.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 11 Pro version 22H2
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken's algorithm for automatically matching transactions is fairly simple, the date has to be within a range, the amount has to match, and a matching payee will distinguish duplicates.  In the case you describe, the original check entry is likely out of the date range to be considered for an automatic match.

If you haven't, I suggest disabling the Automatic entry on the register so that you may more easily review the transactions in the Downloaded transactions tab to manually match the mismatched transactions: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, and select the Online Services tab.

Also, if you haven't, I suggest disabling Auto reconcile so the uncleared (unmatched) transactions will appear in the Reconcile window: open the  register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, uncheck Reconcile using online balance, select OK, and press Ctrl + R.
  • Mothertrh
    Mothertrh Member ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. @UKR , my release version of Quicken is R37.67. I only use Quicken a few times a year, as I put off doing my tax work (farming). So, when I updated my Quicken release version, it must have turned on Automatic Entry as it used to let me match the downloaded transactions as you mentioned prior to putting them in the register. I have turned that back off. Yes, the downloaded transactions include the check number. The debit card transaction that it is matching to does not have a check number before it gets matched. I have a print screen of the matched transaction showing the download fields if there's a way for me to show that.?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mothertrh said:
    ... I only use Quicken a few times a year, as I put off doing my tax work (farming). ...
    Please try to use Quicken at least once a month or even more frequently, to keep it less of a chore to stay on top of your finances. Banks have a limit on the time window for downloaded transactions. It usually is between 60 and 90 days. Transactions older than this limit which haven't been downloaded will no longer easily be available for download ... and that means, you'll end up with ugly gaps in your records which you'll have to fill manually.

This discussion has been closed.