Datafile (.QDF) is suddenly requiring a password

LRATC
LRATC Member
I am using version 38.25 (Starter application). Today I spent three hours entering data from the past 6 months. I closed the program and when I came back to it later on, the datafile is now requiring a password. I have never used a password for any of these files. I clicked on the "Forgot Password" link but it does nothing. I do not want to restore an old backup as I will lose all of the data I entered today. I did a 'chat' with "Support" and was told this is a 'known issue'. Really??? Does anyone have a fix for this, or am I destined to have to re-enter volumes of data all over again? Help!

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you restore a Quicken file backup saved before the issue appeared.  To locate available backups, you may select File > Find Quicken Files...
  • LRATC
    LRATC Member
    Thanks, but as I previously stated -- I do not want to do that -- I will lose hours and hours of data entry that I just completed this morning.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    LRATC said:
    Thanks, but as I previously stated -- I do not want to do that -- I will lose hours and hours of data entry that I just completed this morning.
    If you cannot locate a more recent Quicken file backup, perhaps you can access a more recent good Quicken file in a Windows backup or file history. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A requirement to input a file password, when none existed previously, is an indication of a corrupted (perhaps irretrievably) Q data file.
    Your choices, at this point are:
    • Restore that backup (and resolve to take more frequent backups ... especially when doing LOTS of input), or
    • Start over with a new Q data file.
    In either event those "hours and hours" are gone.  There is no "super secret password" that will allow you to bypass the demand for a password.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.