How to make appear the subcategories in a budget report

Hi there,
Using Q for Windows Canada, since 1991. I have made many reports in my life but lately, they don't look like I want them to. I may have, for example, a Category group which contains many categories and subcategories. When I ask for a specific report like budget and spending by categories, none of the subcategories show in the report although I asked specificaly to show every sub in the advance tab. Why, oh why ?
Thanks to you and much sunshine in your life :D
Danielle

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Since you are talking about two different reports, the first thing I would ask is are these saved reports?
    If they are try recreating them.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Hi Chris,
    They are both new and old reports. The result is the same.
    Thanks
    Danielle
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm I don't really know what is going on.  I tried a test where I put in both income and expenses in a custom group and then in a budget and the report looks fine to me (displayed grouped by Category Group).

Maybe a screenshot of the problem would be helpful.
    Signature:
  • I will do that tomorrow. But what I see from YOUR reports, you have not created any subcategory. Try it and look, just for fun...
    See you tomorrow
    Danielle
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I will do that tomorrow. But what I see from YOUR reports, you have not created any subcategory. Try it and look, just for fun...
    See you tomorrow
    Danielle
    Both IncomeTestSub and ExpenseTestSub are subcategories.  Are you talking about subcategories of subcategories?

TEST is the category group, IncomeTest and ExpenseTestPar are both top/parent categories.
    Signature:
  • Ok. Let's say : Revenus divers is Category group, rabais is category and Credit de solidarity is subcategory. Well, my reports show group, category and rabais others as subcategory. So I may have 5 subcategory for rabais, but they all show other, not their full name.
    So try to add a subcategory to Income test sub (like salary) and see if salary will appear on the report.
    You can go to bed now 😉
    Thanks
    Danielle
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    My bedtime isn't 5:44 PM.   ;)

I already showed categories, and sub categories.  Below shows categories, sub categories, and sub sub categories with no problems.

You mention "other".  Other is "the amount for transactions parent category".
    The category line itself is for the total of all the transaction in that category and below.
    Above is for this selection in the budget categories.

For if I don't want to include the parent category 

If all you wanted is the totals.

Notice the amounts in blue are categories (or subcategories) with transactions, where the amounts that are in black are totals.
    Signature:
  • I meant it was MY time to go to bed ;)
    I made 2 screen photos to show you what I mean. One is the current budget report with the advanced requirements I asked for and the other is Income/expense comparison by category. You'll see the budget report says : others and the Inc/exp shows every detailed subcategory.
    There is never an "other" subcategory in my reports. I always give them a name. I know exactly where my money is going.
    So If you need anymore screen photos, just tell me, or anything else for that matter.
    Thanks a lot and I hope you have a nice sunshine like I do today à 9h34AM. It is -20°C...
    Danielle
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31
    Looking at your report, I have no idea of why it is doing that.  As you can see in my screenshots mine isn't doing it.  So, I'm sort down to these suggestions, that are just generic troubleshooting.

First try Validate and Repair:
    File -> Validate and Repair File... -> Validate File -> OK.

Second try it in a new data file to see if it does the same, which might point to something in the data file or point to the Quicken program itself.

And the last is to contact Quicken Support, they might have some more ideas/ways to pin down what is going wrong.
    Contact Quicken Support

Note that if you have Premier or above you can log into your quicken.com account and there will be a toll-free number at the top of it for contacting Quicken support.

EDIT, nice and sunny here too, and at 10:18am it 8C outside.   :) 
    Signature:
  • It's not the first time you help me with Q. I had to clean Q last autumn and had to do it twice.
    I am wondering if the weight of my file isn't doing me trouble. What do you think?
    Danielle
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Problems in Quicken aren't due to the size of the data file.  Performance problems can occur for a lot of securities/security lots/transactions in an investment account, but that it is about it.

But files can get corrupted, and so can the install of Quicken.  On the other hand, this seems so "local" it seems more like you have hit some unlucky combination that triggers a bug in Quicken.
    Signature:
  • Well I have investments since 1993. Lately, Q wanted to inscribe a stock split of 1 share for 1.0999 share for 3 investments I have, which is completely crazy and just can't be true. My discount broker would have done something about it, which they didn't. So yes, something is wrong. Now, apart from calling the USA and paying for the long distance call, what does your experience tell you to do?
    Thanks🙂
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is the order of what I would try.
    1. If this recent, restore from a backup and see if it there.  Actually, because there are problems with restore creating new datasets each time it is done, I would just work from a copy.  If all you have is backups you can just rename it from *.QDF-backup to *.QDF top open it directly.
    2. Validate and repair.
    3. A new data file to see if it happens there.  If it happens there, try QCleanUI procedure to try to fix Quicken "the program".
    4. If it is the data file and I couldn't figure out how to fix it and the report/feature is important to me, I would try rebuilding my data file, and use that.  Here is how I have done that in the past (but luckily never had to use it for real). Note if you have accounts with different currencies, that might be very problematic to doing this.  http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html
    Signature:
  • Danielle Dallaire
    Danielle Dallaire Member ✭✭
    edited February 22
    [Merged Duplicate Post]

I am adding pictures of the problem I am experiencing. First, you must know that I use Quicken since 1991. I have a lot of experience with it and I feel I have more problems now than before.
    So I hope you will help me. I have already tried QCleanUI twice and the problem is still present.
    Thank you for your help
    Danielle
  • I would like that you don't merge this discussion as it has not been answered. We tried many things but the problem is still present. I will try once more to ask the community.
    Thanks.
    Danielle
This discussion has been closed.