Can you download from Schwab without syncing turned on?

deriter
deriter Member ✭✭
After waiting months for issues with downloading from Schwab to be resolved, I finally bit the bullet and tried to get my Schwab accounts set up to download. I actually got two of them to work. However, today I discovered, quite accidentally, that syncing had been turned on for those two accounts. I absolutely do not want my financial data stored on Quicken's servers. Can I turn off syncing to those accounts without ruining the ability to download transactions?

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have always kept sync off for everything.  The only reason you would need to enable sync is if you like to use Quicken's Web & mobile.  If not, feel free to turn it off.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling this is bug. 

The way Express Web Connect (including “Plus”) works is:
    Quicken -> QCS -> Intuit server -> Financial institution

QCS (Quicken Connection Services) is “sync”.  The main difference between this sync and “Sync to Mobile/Web” is that “Sync to Mobile/Web” makes the dataset visible to the Mobile and Web apps, whereas the Express Web Connect use of the sync doesn’t.

So, it isn’t a big stretch of the imagination that when one connects with Express Web Connect there might be a bug that turns on “Sync to Mobile/Web” for those accounts.

See this thread about Express Web Connect using “sync”.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882641/qcs-express-web-connect-is-cloud-sync
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you are downloading transactions from Schwab, even if the account I not set to sync to Quicken cloud, your Schwab data is on the aggregation server?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    So if you are downloading transactions from Schwab, even if the account I not set to sync to Quicken cloud, your Schwab data is on the aggregation server?
    Absolutely.  Schwab just changed from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect +.  This "plus" only refers to the fact that they are using a new "more secure" method to connect from the Intuit servers to the financial institution.  The rest of the flow is the same.  So, the transactions are both on Quicken servers and Intuit servers.  Note that Capital One was the first for Express Web Connect +, but only for banking accounts.  Schwab is for both banking and investment accounts.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.