Quicken file size

DIR
DIR Member
My QB file size is 95 MB. It works just fine. Had a problem and tech support worked it through. Performed a restore from an older file and then a validate and super validate. Fixed some issues and I'm running well. Support advised my file size is quite large. The first tech rep advised I "copy" my file and commence with a later start date. A 2nd rep said that often causes problems. I copied my files and problems ensued (including bad opening balances and bill manager issues).

I've been using Quicken since 1995. I have lots of inactive accounts for which I have no need. If I delete old inactive accounts, will that shrink the file size? Any other consequences (assuming those accounts aren't linked to other accounts)? Thanks community.

Comments

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    my current file size is a bit over 230 MB in Explorer but Quicken About lists as 194 MB.  you can do a year end archive or copy and select some older years to archive and keep more recent years if you want to reduce file size.  Another prior recommendation is to purge Memorized Payees to help clean up your file.  Would not recommend manually deleting older or inactive accounts.  Would recommend  "closing" these accounts and then using the Year End Archive feature and selecting the year and then archiving older transactions. 

My current file starts with transactions of Jan 2006, so I currently have 16 years of data.  Surprised that you were told by "support" that the file size was an issue.  First I've heard and have read from others / super users that there was actually no issue with larger file sizes.  But you can't use on a network or cloud type location, needs to be local.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    95MB is "small".  I would recommend doing nothing.  My data file is 151MB with transactions back to 1996 and I'm having no problems with it.

The only place that I have ever seen that "size matters" is in investment accounts, and that has to do with how many securities/security lots/transactions in a given account.  Note that year end copy doesn't touch investment transactions.

If you delete accounts, you are most likely going to unbalance other accounts that have transfers to that account.  What's more you will lose the history for reports like net worth over time.  And you probably will see no reduction in the size of your file.  To delete records in a database is "costly", so what they do instead is mark them deleted, and will reuse them as you add new data.  The only known method to get Quicken to remove those "deleted" records is to use the Quicken copy.  But they have changed it recently that if you do that, it removes all online connections.  So, it is quite a pain to reconnect everything in the new copy.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW the difference between what is listed when you hold down Ctrl+Shift and select Help -> About Quicken, doesn't include attachments.  And of course, when you look at it with Windows Explorer it does include them.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.