Quicken shows incorrect holdings in 401k account

Hello,

I have a 401k account in Quicken which is messed up. How did it get to this state? Long story... I accidentally imported into it a QFX file which included information for multiple Quicken accounts. I also toggled "use average cost" on and off on some of the securities in this account.

At any rate the current situation is messy. When I look at the holdings in the account as of 3/31/2021 I see just one security, which is what I should see, and everything looks correct. But when I look at the holdings as of 4/1/2021 (i.e. the following day) I see a whole list of securities which should not be there, the numbers of shares are off, etc. All these securities used to be held in the account but were sold years ago. In the register there are no transactions concerning these securities on 4/1/2021, and no placeholders are shown (and yes, "show hidden transactions" is enabled in preferences > investment transactions). One other piece of info: the last time I reconciled the account was 3/31/2021 and everything was ok.

This is with Quicken Premier version R37.67 build 27.1.37.67 Windows 10 Enterprise.

Any idea what's wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks much!

Answers

• Koala Bear
    Koala Bear Member
    Forgot to mention: on the 4/1/2021 holdings display there's a line saying "*Placeholder Entries for missing data are used in these calculations". This line does not show up on the 3/31/2021 holdings display. As mentioned above there are no placeholder transactions in the register.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you save a data file backup (press Ctrl + B) and then, open the investment register, press Ctrl + Shift + Z, and select OK.
  • Koala Bear
    Koala Bear Member
    Thanks for your response, Sherlock. Sadly Ctrl+Shift+Z didn't fix the issue.

I had a chat session with Quicken support earlier today. They had me run File > Ctrl+Shift+"Validate and repair file" but that didn't fix it either. I will try to revert back to a backup.
This discussion has been closed.