Network Hard Drive Sharing Question.

retird
retird Member ✭✭✭✭
I currently have 2 computers using Quicken with "separate named" Quicken files that access my financial institutions.  Works just fine.

My question:
I also have an external "network hard drive" that I can use to share all my data from to both computers (except the Quicken file).  So, can I put just 1 Quicken data file there and share it to both computers?  OSU would update the Quicken data file located only on the "network drive".
Windows 10 and Windows 11 (separate computers)..... Quicken Premier 20+ year user

Comments

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3
    Delete "duplicate".
    Windows 10 and Windows 11 (separate computers)..... Quicken Premier 20+ year user
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quickly glanced at it?  Didn't see "external network drives" mentioned.  My network drive is located on my home network.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3
    AND let me add that only 1 computer is used at a time. Never do I use both computers at the same time.  When using a computer the other one is turned off...
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I Install Quicken On Multiple Computers? Do I Need To Purchase Quicken Again To Install It On A New Computer?

Can I install or use Quicken on a network?

We don't recommend sharing or attempting to sync Quicken data files between computers on a network, as this may lead to data file damage.  We also strongly advise against installing Quicken on a network. Quicken is not designed to be used over a network or shared drive.

Quicken incrementally saves your data as it's entered. Saving Quicken data files locally (directly on your computer's hard drive), and not over a network, decreases the risk of data loss. Network instability or the use of a single data file by multiple people at the same time will often lead to data integrity issues.

Due to the many possible network configurations, Quicken doesn't offer technical assistance for this type of configuration.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure you can if you want to tempt the fates and have your data file corrupted beyond repair by working with it from a network drive.
    One of the superusers years ago posted his way of dealing with this using the script below to copy the data file from the network to the local drive, start Quicken and then return the data file to the network when Quicken closed.  There was a file in use flag that prevented other computers from opening the data file while another computer was using it.  I've never used the script, but you can try it after you modify it for your setup.
    ==================
    @echo off
    set DATA_FILE=MYDATA.qdf
    set SERVER_DIR=\\WDMyCloud\Quicken
    set TMP_DIR=c:\tmp
    set PROG_FILES_DIR=C:\Program Files (x86)
    set LOCK_FILE=%SERVER_DIR%\Quicken.lock

IF EXIST "%TMP_DIR%" GOTO :SKIP_MKDIR
    mkdir "%TMP_DIR%"
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO :NEXT
    start /wait cmd /C "ECHO Error creating '%TMP_DIR%' && PAUSE"
    goto :END
    :SKIP_MKDIR

IF NOT EXIST "%LOCK_FILE%" GOTO NOT_LOCKED
    start /wait cmd /C "ECHO %SERVER_DIR%\%DATA_FILE% is LOCKED && PAUSE"
    goto :END

:NOT_LOCKED
    echo lock > "%LOCK_FILE%"
    copy "%SERVER_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%" "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"
    "%PROG_FILES_DIR%\Quicken\qw.exe" "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"

IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO :TRYCOPY
    del "%LOCK_FILE%"
    GOTO :END

:TRYCOPY
    copy "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%" "%SERVER_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"

IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO :NEXT
    start /wait cmd /C "ECHO Error copying Quicken data file (maybe locked). && PAUSE"
    goto :TRYCOPY

:NEXT
    del "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"
    del "%LOCK_FILE%"

:END
    ==================

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    THX....  I ponder this....

If the datafile, the backup files, and the incremental saves are all on the network drive then why is it different than having the same on a local computer hard drive, Quicken only sees the file location, right?  The script you graciously posted looks like it is addressing a server and the cloud I guess (I don't do scripts)..  My external network drive is connected to my network router as a shared drive.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, you wanted a way to have your data file accessible by two different computers.  This is an option.  Quicken doesn't support accessing the data file on a shared/network drive because the network may drop or scramble the information as it is written which is as you go, not at the end like a spreadsheet or word processing document, so there is a lot of writing and saving.  They won't take responsibility for the many types of network types and brands or support their use.  I don't blame them.
    Another option is to only run Quicken on one computer and connect to it via remote access software and control Quicken remotely from the second computer.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy the way I use 2 computers now with separate data files.  If a networked hard drive would work it would be easier.  Not an issue now to just do an OSU on 2 computers. Only issues I have with Quicken are the Schwab mess (since November) and no check numbers in the check number field (for over a year now).

• Walter@@
    [email protected]@ Member ✭✭✭
    If your network is stable and your router solid, you won't have a problem. I have used a network drive shared on a server with 3 computers accessing the drive but never at the same time, for 25+ years. Quicken won't allow you to open the data file if it is in use by another quicken program. I have never had a problem with file corruption in all these years. I know that Quicken doesn't officially support this and I have read all the warnings from moderators/superusers (see above), but I have done this a long time and it has/is working very well. There are also other users on this forum that do this as well. I think you are correct that Quicken doesn't care where the drive is located, as long as there is a good connection maintained with the drive you won't have a problem. Any drive that does not maintain a good connection to the computer no matter how connected will have big problems. As long as you keep your computer/network in good order you shouldn't have problems.
    This is my personal opinion on the subject, so use your best judgement. Good networking.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3
    @[email protected]@"
    Thanks for that information... exactly what I assumed.  Yes I have the latest giga-bit tri-band router, a solid home network, and solid high speed internet provider (180Mbs download), a new SSD drive for the network drive, both computers have SSD drives, and have the additional tools necessary to monitor my internet provider, my network and router.  Maybe when the Schwab mess, if and when it gets fixed, I'll create a new Quicken data file and test it on my networked hard drive, keeping my other 2 data files in tact.  Thanks again for the true-to-life 25+ year experience on this subject....  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3
    Instead of maintaining the active Quicken file on a network drive, we use a remote desktop client to access a Windows desktop where maintain Quicken and access the Quicken file in a folder on an internal drive.  There are a variety of free implementations available.  If you're Windows and network savvy, I recommend Microsoft's Remote Desktop.  If you want simplicity, I recommend TeamViewer.
This discussion has been closed.