Balance changes between closing one day and opening the next

This happens periodically. I close quicken for the day and then open the next day and the balance will be MORE. Today My balance was $584.02 more than yesterday, no downloads and no new entries. NO CHANGES WERE MADE BY ME. I balance all the time. I just deduct the extra monies as a suspense item, and I balance with bank.

Any ideas what is going on?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not unusual for the date to impact a current balance.  There a many valid possibilities.  For example: a transaction entered in a register with tomorrow's date, isn't included in the current balance until tomorrow.  Unfortunately, the issue can also indicate the presence of a problem.  If you're uncertain, I suggest reconciling the account register against a statement obtained from the financial institution.
  • Frankie Raney
    Frankie Raney Member ✭✭
    As I said, I balance all the time....with my register. And also as I said nothing else has changed. No matter what, with transactions, in my register and no downloads that I missed, the balance should not change. What happens is sometimes when I balance, quicken comes up different between closing and opening. Quicken is a duplicate of my check book register or vice versa. Also, there was/still is, a problem with quicken redownloading older transactions, but this is not the case, as I catch these immediately. It has me stumped, but it is either a problem or my computer, causes glitches, and this is a new computer, and I had this problem with the old one. That leave quicken as the problem.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You say that it is from the time you close to when you open the file.  By any chance are you doing any kind of updating like One Step Update?  Some people have reported problems with Quicken changing the opening balance transaction.  And if you are using Sync to Mobile/Web that is another possible source that might cause a problem like this.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankie Raney
    Frankie Raney Member ✭✭
    I do have it set to sync on closing, but I usually click no, and I do perform updates but one at a time with the account I am using. Neither of these are done on opening.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't trust Sync to Mobile/Web not to do things behind my back, just another reason not ever use it.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankie Raney
    Frankie Raney Member ✭✭
    yeah. A $500+ increase or decrease is NOT GOOD.
This discussion has been closed.