Paycheck Corruption Problems

I ran into a problem last year with paycheck corruption. So I started with a fresh file this year as the older file was just a mess from that, duplicate entries all over the place. Just opened my new file and find that last pay cycle paycheck is corrupt again! WTH - The splits show if I hover, but will not open when I click on the "green" check box. I now have duplicate entries in transfer accounts as well again. I thought this was fixed? [Removed - Solicitation] Paying good money only to be frustrated with this bug.

Answers

• EricN
    EricN Member ✭✭
    Once in a while I assume Quicken has synchronization figured out, and I turn it back on. It's usually just two weeks before I'm rudely reminded with paycheck errors that I was wrong. New file or old file, I still get errors and missing data if I have synchronization on. I've tried everything. Next, I'll try to retire and not have a job so I'm not affected by paycheck errors...
  • DarthQuick
    DarthQuick Windows Beta Beta
    I have the same experience as both of you. Corruption of the paycheck items is very discouraging, and has been a problem for years. I'm still getting it. 
  • Avey
    Avey Member
    I never had trouble with this until about half way through 2021. Now even after I go back and fix them, they become corrupted AGAIN. I've searched all over the website and only find a suggestion to restore to a previous version (which is not possible since they're all corrupted) and to turn off mobile sync (which I don't have on to begin with because the app is worthless). I've been a devoted Quicken fan for over 15 years, but this is seriously making me rethink going back to spreadsheets (GRRRR).
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭
    Same issue. Multiple years. I'm really really tired of clearing paycheck entries across checking, savings, HSA, and 401k distributions for EVERY paycheck for 2 of us back to the last corrupt paycheck and then re-entry of all of them. This gets worse when each check is not identical due to reimbursement of travel etc. In other words, it's a time commitment every time it happens. How is this not a very high level priority to resolve? Simply asking for Quicken to dedicate the same number of hours to resolve a problem we purchased as all of us are committing to try and use it.
  • daveinma
    daveinma Member ✭✭
    edited February 28
    I have had similar issues - my wife spreads her direct deposit among 3 accounts (529, checking 1, savings 1). Periodically, after syncing, her paycheck will revert from a DEPOSIT to a WITHDRAWAL for the amount that goes to Savings 1. If I hit the split button and Enter, the entry is correctly shown as a deposit. It only has this error in the Checking 1 account. I similarly split my check between 2 accounts but to different institutions. It has NEVER happened to me. I even re-created her paycheck series for 2022, still happens. I have validated the file and Reported the Error in the program. R38.30 on Windows
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 1
    I found 4 checks that were broken tonight. They are 12/2, 12/16, 12/30, and 1/27. Checks before, after, and the one between appear to be okay. Seems completely random. I've also fixed some of these same checks back in January and confirmed they were still okay in the weeks that followed. So, something has broken them post entry and after multiple weeks of no issues. Sync?? But that doesn't make sense either as sync has been in use to-date. I completely disabled Mobile & Web sync under preferences to see if that resolves it. The problem is it might have been several months before this happened again so this has a very long trial period with mobile disabled. That's not good since that's part of the paid annual plan. :(
  • davecad
    davecad Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue - for a while it would be that just viewing the paycheck would show no details, but reporting and so on would still show up correctly. Since a recent update, the transactions now get completely corrupted - categories incorrect (e.g. Salary shows up in the "Tax" section, tax withholdings show up in the "income" section and so on), transfers or deposits to other accounts are duplicated or entered incorrectly as individual transactions. Reindexing/repair does not solve the problem and it has continually gotten worse. Very frustrating. Need to rethink the use of this application given the inability to correct what appears to be a common problem.
  • Daniel_B
    Daniel_B Member ✭✭
    I had the same experience today. I found that "editing" my salary -- just opening it and clicking "Done" corrected the issue, but I'm becoming more annoyed. This is the second time I had to fix the issue. Do you think maybe it's time to rollback to a stable version?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited March 6
    Daniel_B said:
    I had the same experience today. I found that "editing" my salary -- just opening it and clicking "Done" corrected the issue, but I'm becoming more annoyed. This is the second time I had to fix the issue. Do you think maybe it's time to rollback to a stable version?
    Hello @Daniel_B

I am sorry to hear about this issue with salary information changing. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community and seeking further information in this discussion.

Saving backups is always recommended, although I do have some additional questions. Have you tried to restore from a backup prior to when you first noticed this issue? For reference, it is possible to save a backup anytime by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen, and restoring from a backup can be performed by going to the same menu and then selecting File > Restore a Backup File. Be sure to avoid backing up to a file prior to December of 2021, as this can cause issues with updates that were in process around that time. 

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 

I await your responses and any updates you may be able to provide. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Avey
    Avey Member
    The paycheck issue has nothing to do with backups, Jared. It is a much bigger issue that Quicken needs to devote time to fix.
  • dalehawaii
    dalehawaii Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9
    This issue has affected over 1,000 paychecks where the take-home amount is correct, but the salary is changed to be the same value for the past 10 years.

I personally recovered 5 previous backups, and it appears the issues are related to the Quicken upgrade that tries to perform a "final conversion". Likewise, I validated the files and received this message in the validation Data.log file that says, "The following transaction(s) involving transfers appear to be damaged. You should delete them and recreate as appropriate."

I think I need to revert to a previous Quicken version that doesn't force a conversion to my paychecks.

Thoughts from anyone who reads this?
    Quicken user since 1996
    Quicken Home & Business Subscription
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 9
    Just getting back to this thread as I've been focused on trying to get paychecks re-entered and could not due to the broken add tax button not working in the paycheck popup window. I posted my results of installing R39.17 on a related thread before digesting the updates on this thread.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7907895/edit-current-paycheck-add-new-tax-item-does-not-work

Here is a quick recap:
    I don't know when my historical paycheck modification issue happened. I just realized it after installing R39.17. My impact is back to 5/12/2006 (things appear fine from that point back to 7/28/2000). In summary, ever paycheck back to then is incorrect. This means a LOT of fouled transactions to resolve. I have a 3/9 backup prior to installing R39.17 but it has the same issue when restoring from within R39.17. I believe I need to rollback to see if the issue is with R39.17 or if I've had it for a few months and didn't know it. I did some annual income mapping sometime in the last 5 or 6 months so I think it has to be relatively recent. The issue I have is the entry of MANY transactions in that time frame if I need to go back to an old backup. The other issue with that could be that I might only have annual backup that I can restore. Freaked out right now.

@dalehawaii Do you have any idea of what version of Quicken set your salary equal over this time frame? As I mentioned, I don't think this specific issue is an old problem for me. The generally corrupted paychecks is an old issue as it has come and gone over at least recent years.
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 9
    Just lost my prior response for some reason. I just learned after installing R39.17 that I have the "same" paycheck issue (where all paychecks are set equal) back to 5/12/2006. I don't think this is an old issue for me as described in a different but related thread. Bottom line, I have a lot of broken transactions to fix.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7907895/edit-current-paycheck-add-new-tax-item-does-not-work
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭
    > @jr_ece said:
    > Just lost my prior response for some reason. I just learned after installing R39.17 that I have the "same" paycheck issue (where all paychecks are set equal) back to 5/12/2006. I don't think this is an old issue for me as described in a different but related thread. Bottom line, I have a lot of broken transactions to fix.
    >
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7907895/edit-current-paycheck-add-new-tax-item-does-not-work

Just confirmed R39.17 did in fact cause paychecks to be equal values in the registry and reports from 5/2006 to present. Reverted to R38.30 and 3/8 backup and paychecks appear to be back to previous state. This includes a number of missing entries that were corrupt and I deleted as mentioned above. I'm unable to enter these checks until the "add new tax item" issue is resolved (supposed to be R39.17). I also found a few other checks scattered back in time that are also corrupt while rechecking that paychecks were restored. Afraid to look too deeply. Don't have time for major reentry. Again.
  • T McKannon
    T McKannon Member
    Have reverted to R37.66 because of newer release issues with One Step Update that Quicken has promised to fix (still unresolved in R38.30). Unrelated to OSU issues, have just discovered the Paycheck issue. When viewing a reconciled paycheck entry in an account, selection of the green check mark split displays my current paycheck, not the split which was entered. The reconciled amount in the registry is correct as is the account balance. I have selected several reconciled paychecks going back several years. Selecting the green check mark always displays the same current paycheck screen. It is more than a display problem. Pulling summary reports from previous years use the current paycheck values, not the original (correct) values. I cannot rely on Quicken to provide valid accounting and reports to complete my tax return!
  • dalehawaii
    dalehawaii Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12
    @jr_ece

Hi there. Apologies, I've been traveling, just saw your message...Regarding your question, my guess is 39.17 (or any 39.XX) is the culprit, 

38.30 is stable. Currently it can be downloaded via the mondo patch at https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

I had to go back to my past backup file from 3/4 or 3/4 to ensure I had a backup file that wasn't automatically corrupted by a 39.XX (and backed up by mistake). If you don't have that file, look for a file that is automatically saved when you perform an upgrade. Look in the Quicken>BACKUP folder, it should be listed as something like "filename-R-38.30-2022-03-dd.QDF-backup". 

FYI, just saw a new update come down via Quicken this morning 3/12...Not sure if I should even download it. 

Quicken user since 1996
    Quicken Home & Business Subscription
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭
    @dalehawaii No problem. Yes, it was R39.17 for me.
  • Just see that I've lost 7 years of weekly paycheck data to their corruption, so over 350 entries, all different because they are hourly pay. The fact that I'm losing that much of my work for a problem that pretty clearly from the threads discussing this problem goes back a long way has me seriously starting to look for a new provider, even though I've been with Quicken since before 2000.
  • SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭
    Other than being a little easier to enter the income and deductions, what's the difference between a paycheck and a split transaction? I've used paychecks for years and have suffered occasional problems but nothing like what's described above. I do appreciate the ability to add paychecks to a budget as net pay but now that my income is primarily retirement savings withdrawals, it's not a big deal.

One thing I really don't like about paychecks that could be easily improved is there's no stop date. If you know you're quitting work or getting a big raise in the middle of the year, you should be able to stop one paycheck in advance, and create another that starts after it.

Other reminders do that easily. Why can't paychecks do that?
  • ToddK
    ToddK Member ✭✭
    I'm experiencing the exact same issue. After reverting to 38.30, I tried loading my data file from 39.21. Everything seemed to load fine, but all paycheck splits were identical. I needed to restore the automatic backup in order to recover the paycheck split details. Clearly whatever happened during the 39.xx upgrade corrupted the database and the details are not recoverable.
  • ToddK
    ToddK Member ✭✭
    Looks like 39.23 fixes split details being wiped out. Unfortunately, if you upgraded to one of the prior 39.xx releases, your data is already gone. You will need to recover by going back to the 38.30 automatic backup as mentioned by @dalehawaii

I wish Quicken was more upfront about the loss of data here. Seems pretty sneaky to leave that out of the release notes.
  • Matt Knudsen
    Matt Knudsen Member ✭✭
    So frustrated about the non-stop issues the past couple of weeks with Quicken. It corrupted (their own words) 15 years of paycheck information! Totally unacceptable. Hours of time wasted trying to combat only to find out I have to revert and re-do. How the heck did this get back QA?
  • jorgel8375
    jorgel8375 Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem Entering paychecks, is just not working correctly. The splits don't add up and the schedule transactions from Paycheck and Regular deductions show twice.
  • Daniel_B
    Daniel_B Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jared -- I routinely take backups and fortunately for me, my problem is only with the current check. I haven't had the issue recently and I'll credit updated code, since I haven't done anything differently.
    dpb
  • scott9
    scott9 Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue as others here, but have had some luck going back and re-entering. Still, when I look at income/spend reports, it has multiple entries from the paycheck that aren't in the register. They seem to have a big issue on how paychecks are stored in the database.
  • scott9
    scott9 Member ✭✭
    Is anyone working on this issue at Quicken? I have been a loyal Quicken user since Quicken 1.0 but this past year is the first time that I feel that I really can't trust the data. Even missed a payment due to error in BillPay. I really hope the software can become more robust as it has the most features in the market. Just needs to be robust.
  • mpafumi77
    mpafumi77 Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 14
    Is there any update on this issue?  I just noticed the corruption going back 20 years.
  • ToddK
    ToddK Member ✭✭
    Unf you have to revert to a backup and re-enter all your transactions. Your data file is corrupt and there doesn't appear to be any other way to recover. 😞