Quicken Sounds Not Working Even from Windows 11 Control Panel

About a month ago, all of my Quicken sounds stopped working. And, yes, Quicken sounds are turned on in Quicken Premium. Regular Windows sounds work fine. When I open Sound in the Control Panel and then the Sounds tab and scroll down to the Quicken section, and test the various sounds, only a few work. I tried replacing my Sounds folder within my Quicken installation folder structure with a folder from another networked computer where they played fine from Quicken, but they still do not play, either from Quicken or when navigating to the same area from the Control Panel. I have read various threads in the Quicken Community and from Google about Quicken sounds, but none appeared to relate to this scenario. Suggestions and -- even more -- solutions would be greatly appreciated. Incidentally, I've used Quicken since 1991 -- a long time. [Removed - Email]. Thanks.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    By any chance did you install Quicken on a drive other than C:?
    I remember long ago a person reported problems with sounds when they had installed Quicken on D:.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • davidlevy622
    davidlevy622 Member ✭✭
    Not sure if this is specifically to Chris_QPW or not, but no -- the program is installed to C but not to the c:\users\...area (default). Rather it is to a folder I have used for several decades, namely c:\finance\quicken. What your question raises is whether to uninstall it and reinstall to c:\users\ ... or perhaps simply, as a test to move the Quicken Sounds folder to where it would be had it been installed to the users area. Interesting and something I might try. But everything worked fine until the last month.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6
    When the person that installed to the D drive (the icon above in my message was D colon, but the forum software turned it into an emoji) tested this he was able to get the sounds working by just copying the sounds folder to the default place: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\Sounds

But personally, I suggest installing to the default location.  There is no telling what else might be dependent on that.

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • davidlevy622
    davidlevy622 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Chris. I wish I could report that changing the Sounds location or uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken to the default location worked, but it did not, even after rebooting the machine. More specifically, simply moving the Sounds folder did not work, and from Sound in the Control Panel, it was clear that Windows (11) could not find these wav files in the new location. After reinstalling, Windows could find the files in the default location, but clicking on Test from the Control Panel yielded no sound for virtually all (with a few exceptions) of the Quicken wav files, and from Quicken itself -- silence. And yet Quicken sounds play normally on a laptop that has also been updated to Windows 11 and has Quicken installed to the default location. This seems to be some quirk of the Dell XPS8930/Win11/Quicken interplay. Most peculiar.
This discussion has been closed.