Quicken is Messing Up Prior Correct Reconciled Balances

David Green
David Green Member ✭✭✭
I posted this thread a few months ago:  Reconciling - Prior Balance is Incorrect — Quicken

In that thread I tracked it back to a transaction from a few years ago.  I went to reconcile accounts tonight.  I'm a bit behind, the holidays and work were busy.  The last reconciliation was the October-November statements.   The same account that had a problem before in the other thread has a problem now.  It is 30.00 off on the reconciliation for reconciling November-December.  The problem is that it thinks the opening balance on the December closing statement  is 30.00 more than the closing balance for October-November.     I have 3 backup files between the November and December statement dates for this account.  The late November and December 7 backups, if I open that and run the reconcile again for October-November, the balance is correct.   The December 21 backup, running the reconcile the balance is 30.00 over.  Sometime between the 7th and the 21st a problem happened, again.  

I would rather not restore from the December 7 backup.   I can download transactions again, but there's a lot of categorizing I'd have to redo across accounts.  Several receipts and other scanned items are no longer available.  However, if I were open the December 7 backup as a copy without overwriting the cloud data and run a transaction download, will that mess up my current file?  I want to see if something in the download is messing things up. 

Right now I consider this a problem with Quicken.  I don't change any reconciled transactions.  I don't know why Quicken would.  
Quicken for Windows Premiere
Always the latest version

Comments

• FL Sunshine
    FL Sunshine Member
    I'm having a similar problem. I reconcile an IRA investment account then the next month it shows a negative securities value, a large cash value and there are no transactions that are either the shown amount or add up to it. It is only happening in one of 9 accounts. This has also been happening since last summer. Every month I would have to delete all transactions then reenter them manually to clear the problem, only for it to reappear. I only have dividends, interest, monthly contributions and quarterly advisory fee transactions. Otherwise, this is a fairly 'stable' account with little buying/selling happening. For the life of me I cannot figure out what is happening. (I no longer download transactions as several accounts were bringing in hundreds of transactions that was bogging down both Quicken and my computer.)
  • David Green
    David Green Member ✭✭✭
    I found the missing transaction.  It is in the December 7 backup but not in the backup from the 21st.  I  did not delete it.  I added it back to the file from the 21st and ran a reconcile.  that worked.  I added it back to my current file and it worked there also.   Quicken wrongly attributed it as a transfer to another account since the amount matched deposits into that account.  It's possible it got confused or something.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I found the missing transaction.  It is in the December 7 backup but not in the backup from the 21st.  I  did not delete it.  I added it back to the file from the 21st and ran a reconcile.  that worked.  I added it back to my current file and it worked there also.   Quicken wrongly attributed it as a transfer to another account since the amount matched deposits into that account.  It's possible it got confused or something.  
    That sounds like Transfer Detection, which is only a guess based on the amount and approximate date.  At a minimum you should have "confirm" on.
    Edit -> Preferences -> Transfer detection:

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • David Green
    David Green Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 8
    Thanks.  I turned that on, but I'm not confident that's it.  The transaction was missing in the file from December 21.  It was there in December 7 and earlier, albeit listed incorrectly as a transfer.  My assumption is Quicken will incorrectly label it a transfer, but will leave it there, even incorrect.   In the data file from the 21st it was simply missing.  I didn't delete it.   The only things I've done between then and now was transaction downloads and adding some receipts, etc to transactions.  
This discussion has been closed.