Quicken crashing...

Greg Brown
Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
I have been having issues with Quicken crashing. It is occurring when I've had Quicken in the background for a while, and I switch to it to pay a bill or add something to a register. I send an error report whenever it crashes... I sent one this morning.
Quicken H&B&RP windows
Windows 10 Pro, current.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a recent discussion where Quicken was using lots of CPU when idle. They solved the issue by reinstalling. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7907731/why-is-quicken-using-cpu-when-im-not-using-it#latest

Perhaps something similar is causing your crashes?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks but doesn't seem to be related. Quicken using 0-.1 % when in background. When brought to the forefront, uses 1-3% and then settles back to 0-.1% after 2 or 3 seconds.
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    Still an issue for me. Is anybody else experiencing this issue?
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Greg Brown

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. To obtain a better understanding of the issue could you please let us know the current version of Quicken you are using? Also, what version of Windows are you using? Lastly, are you receiving any specific error codes or messages? 

Please elaborate further. Thank you!

-Quicken Paloma
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Greg Brown

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. To obtain a better understanding of the issue could you please let us know the current version of Quicken you are using? Also, what version of Windows are you using? Lastly, are you receiving any specific error codes or messages? 

-Quicken Paloma
    Quicken HB&RP Release 38.30
    Quicken 10 PRO 21H2
    No error codes just a pop-up to send report after crash. I have been sending these reports avery time a crash occurs.
    AS stated in my initial article: It is occurring when I've had Quicken in the background for a while, and I switch to it to pay a bill or add something to a register. I send an error report whenever it crashes...
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Hello @Greg Brown

-Quicken Paloma
    Quicken 10 PRO 21H2
    No error codes just a pop-up to send report after crash. I have been sending these reports avery time a crash occurs.
    AS stated in my initial article: It is occurring when I've had Quicken in the background for a while, and I switch to it to pay a bill or add something to a register. I send an error report whenever it crashes...
    Hello @Greg Brown,          

I am sorry to hear about this frustrating issue with crashes, and that it is continuing to trouble you. Thank you for continuing to follow up with us about this and providing additional updates and information.

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Be sure to confirm that this file is stored locally on your computer, as housing it in other places - such as a cloud-based storage service - can cause erratic program behavior.

We look forward to any reply you may be able to provide. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Greg Brown

-Quicken Paloma
    Quicken 10 PRO 21H2
    Hello @Greg Brown,          

I am sorry to hear about this frustrating issue with crashes, and that it is continuing to trouble you. Thank you for continuing to follow up with us about this and providing additional updates and information.

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Be sure to confirm that this file is stored locally on your computer, as housing it in other places - such as a cloud-based storage service - can cause erratic program behavior.

We look forward to any reply you may be able to provide. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
    It is located locally...
  • Quicken Jared
    @Greg Brown

I am sorry to hear that this issue is continuing. Thank you, once again, for keeping in contact with us here on the Quicken Community about this problem.

Have you tried supervalidating the data file? First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen.  Next, follow the instructions below in order:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to any future updates you may be able to provide, should you have the opportunity to check back in with us once more.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have validated and super-validated the file. I always validate after the crash. It never finds any errors...
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Greg Brown,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I recommend that you perform a clean uninstall/reinstall (this is different from simply uninstalling and reinstalling the program) which will clear out and replace the existing configuration files for Quicken (this does not affect any of your data and/or backup files).

To do so, please refer to this support article and scroll down to the section titled If the steps above do not resolve the issue. Then, open and follow the instructions found in the blue dropdown sections titled First: Download and use QCleanUI and Second: Rename Quicken Shared Folders.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    I did that before I originally reported the issue(s).
  • Quicken Jared
    I did that before I originally reported the issue(s).
    @Greg Brown

I do apologize that the issue appears to be unresolved at the moment. Thank you for remaining in communications with us about this problem.

I would recommend copying the data file and then revalidating and re-supervalidating the file. I will go over the steps to this process in a moment, but first note: this maneuver will disconnect all online services in the copied file and will require that you sign back in with your QuickenID and associated password. This will be necessary in order to reconnect all accounts for online banking services, Quicken Bill Manager services, and online billing services. An entirely new dataset will also be created.

With that being understood, save a backup and proceed through the steps below in order to copy the data file:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Click Copy or Backup File
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next
    5. Select Save Copy
    6. Select New Copy
    7. Click Ok
    Next, proceed with the Validation instructions on the newly copied file, as follows:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Click Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    Finally, supervalidate the file with these instructions, performed in order:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    I am eager to hear your results after attempting this, should you have the opportunity to speak with us about this again. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have already completed these steps as noted earlier.
    Yes, I have validated and super-validated the file. I always validate after the crash. It never finds any errors...
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @Greg Brown to clarify the instructions previously provided by @Quicken Jared; he is advising you to create a copy of your data file first, then perform validate and super validate in the copied file after the copy of the file has been made.

You would not be validating nor super validating your current data file again. Instead, you would be doing so in a copied file that has a new dataset and is not in any form connected to your current/original file. 

I hope this clarifies things! Thank you.
    -Quicken Anja
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks but I don't need clarification.
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    Since I've provided reports to support, every time it crashes, could someone check with support on the cause(s)? I submitted them under my email ID.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited March 10
    Since I've provided reports to support, every time it crashes, could someone check with support on the cause(s)? I submitted them under my email ID.
    @Greg Brown

We have just received an update that a patch is scheduled to be released tomorrow, which should address this issue.

If you do not wish to wait for the next patch to be released, then we advise reverting back to R38.30 and restoring a backup. You can download and install R38.30 through this link here.

Thank you!

Quicken Jared 
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10
    @Greg Brown

We have just received an update that a patch is scheduled to be released tomorrow, which should address this issue.

If you do not wish to wait for the next patch to be released, then we advise reverting back to R38.30 and restoring a backup. You can download and install R38.30 through this link here.

Thank you!

Quicken Jared 
    This is confusing since I am already on R38.30 as indicated in my previous post(s).
  • Kenneth Johnson
    Kenneth Johnson Member ✭✭
    I am having the exact problem that Greg Brown is describing. I am hoping the patch is coming out today.
  • Loki
    Loki Member
    I also am having the problem as described by Greg Brown... Still repeatedly crashing even after today's update (R39.23). I haven't gone past the validation / super validation step.
  • Phil H.
    Phil H. Member ✭✭✭
    I'm also experiencing the crash after the  update to R39.23. The update also brought in a "bunch" of investment transactions from 2020, 2021 and 2022. Most match and the other "New" ones were really dupes. What a mess
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    I had ANOTHER crash this morning. I am on R39.23.
This discussion has been closed.