Is it possible to run a Quicken file directly from a flash drive not locally saved to the PC?

wwmap
wwmap Member
We recently had to upgrade from Quicken 2008 Deluxe to the latest version of Quicken Deluxe. Previously we did not save the Quicken file to the computer hard drive and would run the file directly from a flash drive for security reasons. So far I have not been able to do this with the latest version. Is this no longer possible? Are we required to save the file to the computer hard drive in order to use the program now?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited February 9
    Hello @wwmap,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Quicken data files' default location is located on the main hard drive in the following pathway; C:\Users\"Username"\Documents\Quicken.

While it is safe to store your data file on an external drive, we do recommend keeping it stored on your local hard drive as running your Quicken data file from an external drive can cause data damage and/or corruption. 

While this Help Article is specific to an error/issue that you have not described experiencing, it does briefly touch on this topic as well. As stated in the article; "Although it is fine to back up and restore Quicken data files to and from networks and external drives, running Quicken data files from external locations can corrupt the files."

I hope this helps! 
    -Quicken Anja
  • wwmap
    wwmap Member
    Thank you for your reply and I do understand about the file being able to be corrupted on a flash drive, for this reason we did have multiple copies of the file on different external storage devices. Is it possible to change the default pathway that Quicken tries to run the file from? The owner of our business wants the added security that if his laptop is stolen, there will be no Quicken file saved to the laptop and he will have it saved separately on his storage devices.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Thank you for your response.

It is safe to run your data file from any location on your main local hard drive, it does not have to be the default location. We just recommend not running it (opening the file) from an external drive such as a flash drive. However, if you are not running or using Quicken, you are fine to move your data file and store it on the external drive. 

I hope this clarifies things for you! 
    -Quicken Anja
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9
    It evidently is Quicken's official response that the data file be on the local C: drive and you will not get any official Quicken representatives to say differently.
    There are a whole lot of users that maintain the data file on an internal D drive successfully. 
    Personally, I keep mine in an encrypted data vault, so to Quicken it is on the Q: drive.
    However, I would never keep my working data file (copies maybe) on a thumbdrive.  Thumbdrives are easily damaged or lost and are slow.  I would at least use a USB harddrive.
    If you want security, use an encrypted data vault to keep the data file in on the local drive.  Using a strong password for encryption makes the data almost (there are no absolutes with security) completely unbreakable.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • wwmap
    wwmap Member
    splasher,

Thank you for your reply and also thank you to the moderator as well.

I agree and understand about the thumb drive being a bit sketchy, we have the file located on the thumb drive but also on a couple of external hard drives and another thumb drive. I will look into the encrypted data vault as it seems there is no other option than to run the file on the PC local hard drive.

Thank you again for the responses.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Several of the anti-virus programs come with encrypted data vault capability and there are several third party programs also.
    I keep my backups in an encrypted data vault so that even they are safe from prying eyes.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9
    dup - deleted
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW - I keep my files on the local hard drive so I have no direct experience using a flash drive that way. As I understand it, a primary concern is the access speed reading and writing to such devices. While running Quicken, the open file is being regularly written to and read from. It is the slowness that leads to corruption, though I am probably oversimplifying it. 

All that was likewise true with QW2008. I’ll speculate that if the file is small, you may get away with it. But it is still a poor choice, IMO. 

I have also heard of users making use of a batch file to copy the file from non-local storage to local hard drive, run Quicken, when closed, copy the file back to non-local drive, and finally delete the local copy. Your boss would want that to be a secure deletion. Others may be able to flesh out more specifics. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Given the speed difference between a new SSD and a USB Flash drive the performance will certainly be much slower on the USB Flash drive.  I wouldn't say that would directly lead to corruption.  What would lead to corruption is that USB Flash drives are much less reliable than a good SSD or hard drive.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • wwmap
    wwmap Member
    Yeah, my boss is currently running Quicken 2008 from a PC with Windows XP... so if you think speed is an issue for him, it isn't lol. Also the irony of him operating an OS that outdated and being so worried about security is not lost on me, however he is so concerned with security that he doesn't allow his devices to even access the internet. Which has also been a horrible pain in even just getting this latest version of Quicken to run at all. I had to tell him that I have to connect to the internet just to run his file at all because Quicken won't allow you to even import a file without signing in and asking you if you want your file accessible in the cloud or on other devices.

It's been a journey! But thank you all for your advice. I need to see if his antivirus has a data vault.

splasher, what data vault software are you using? Yesterday I started doing some research on different ones but there's quite a few options depending on if you want the whole drive encrypted or just some files and some files come with a secure digital shredding feature which is nice. I still need to keep looking into it.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I won't suggest one over the other since I am not an expert on them.  Norton and McAfee both have them, but others do also.
    I don't encrypt the whole drive, just a large container file with enough space to hold 3-4 copies of the data file.  You want the vault file to be a size that you can copy to a thumbdrive/USB external harddrive as a second method of making backups.
This discussion has been closed.