you cannot transfer into your mutual fund account prior to a placeholder transaction

After the recent update, I started getting the message "you cannot transfer into your mutual fund account prior to a placeholder transaction." when I do a one step update. I have tried making sure that all my accounts have placeholders added if needed. And, I have validated and repaired my data file. All to no avail. I have to click "OK" repeatedly on the popup message to clear it away--probably about 10 times. Very annoying!

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    After the recent update, I started getting the message "you cannot transfer into your mutual fund account prior to a placeholder transaction." when I do a one step update. I have tried making sure that all my accounts have placeholders added if needed. And, I have validated and repaired my data file. All to no avail. I have to click "OK" repeatedly on the popup message to clear it away--probably about 10 times. Very annoying!
    Hello @Matt for qkn,  

I am sorry to hear that you are receiving this message so frequently, and thank you for speaking with us about the problem here on the Quicken Community.

Have you tried super-validating the data file, by chance? In order to perform this step, follow the instructions listed here:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I appreciate any response you may be able to provide, should you have a chance to follow up about this matter.

Thank you, 

Quicken Jared 
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have tried making sure that all my accounts have placeholders added if needed.
    Placeholders are bad and you want to get rid of them.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • kittiwake
    kittiwake Member
    I too have this very same issue "you cannot transfer into your mutual fund account prior to a placeholder transaction." I went through the Super Validate File process and it did not work. Any other suggestions? I am at a point where Quicken is becoming unworkable.
  • 83 traveler
    83 traveler Member ✭✭
    Me too. Happens during one step update. After clicking OK, update continues. But very annoying !
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    kittiwake said:
    I too have this very same issue "you cannot transfer into your mutual fund account prior to a placeholder transaction." I went through the Super Validate File process and it did not work. Any other suggestions?
    Placeholders are not data errors to be resolved by validation. They are markers where you have one or more missing transactions in your investment account. You should not live with placeholders. You should resolve them by replacing them with transactions representing what actually happened in your real world investment account, e.g., Buy or Add Shares transactions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.