Ending Balance Errors

January was a perfect month to discover a problem with Quicken. Both my savings and checking accounts had a beginning balance which had been reconciled last last month. The savings account had two transactions. The transaction amounts were correct. The ending balance showed a discrepancy of 20 cents.

The checking account had three transactions. The transactions amounts were correct. The ending balance showed a discrepancy of 2 cents.

Why?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For there to be a discrepancy, you must be comparing the ending balance with some other value but you have neglected to identify the source of that value.  I suggest you attempt to reconcile the registers against a statement obtained from the financial institution.

Note: If a reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like some tiny interest payments that popped up
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • perrypolk
    perrypolk Member ✭✭
    Nope, Guys. It is generated from within Quicken. All the registers and statements are in parallel for months.
  • Same here. Random accounts will show a couple of cents off..getting really tired of these constant Quicken "issues".
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If the accounts are investment accounts, depending on where you are seeing this, it can be rounding errors.  But short of that the numbers should all be accurate.  They are for me.

Without seeing exact examples, it is hard to even start to speculate what the problem you are seeing is other than throwing out wild guesses like saying the data file is corrupt and you should run validate and repair.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.