Synch error followed by Quicken crashing while opening

MegD
MegD Member ✭✭
Yesterday, Quicken would not synch. So I signed out of the Quicken app (desktop) and signed back in. Then it seemed to synch and I closed the app. Next time I opened it, Quicken crashed almost immediately. I decided to download and uninstall/install the quicken download. After signing in, My data shows for a split second and then it crashes.

I'm a Quicken subscription user, my operating system is windows 11 home version 10.0.22000 build 22000. There were 2 updates to windows yesterday and I'm thinking that might have something to do with it.

Meanwhile, I can't access my data.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    MegD said:
    Yesterday, Quicken would not synch. So I signed out of the Quicken app (desktop) and signed back in. Then it seemed to synch and I closed the app. Next time I opened it, Quicken crashed almost immediately. I decided to download and uninstall/install the quicken download. After signing in, My data shows for a split second and then it crashes.

I'm a Quicken subscription user, my operating system is windows 11 home version 10.0.22000 build 22000. There were 2 updates to windows yesterday and I'm thinking that might have something to do with it.

Meanwhile, I can't access my data.
    Hello @MegD,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with crashes upon startup. Thank you for taking the chance to reach out to the Quicken Community for further discussion about this matter.

First, be sure that Quicken is installed on your Computer's hard drive by going into File Explorer and searching 'Quicken.' 

Next, have you tried restarting your computer after this failure to start occurs? You can do this by going to Start in the lower left-hand corner of the screen and then right-clicking the Windows icon and selecting Shut down or sign out > Restart.

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to hearing back from you with updates, if you have the chance to check back in with us here on the Quicken Community.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• MegD
    MegD Member ✭✭
    Hi @QuickenJared
    Thank you for responding. Yes to both your questions. I have sent a crash report, but haven't heard anything back from that. I've restarted multiple times.

There were 2 windows updates installed on 2/10 and after that is when I couldn't get in.

Should I uninstall and reinstall the app?

Thanks for your help.

Meg
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your Quicken data file may have been damaged by a previous crash.

Please try this:

• Reboot Windows.
    • Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
      Usually your file is located in your C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken folder.
    • Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
      If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.
    • If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.

• MegD
    MegD Member ✭✭
    Thank you both for your help! I got it back after going through the uninstalling/installing. My last backup was on the 9th and that is the one that I'll be using. Whew! Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.