missing transactions before Oct 6, 2021

Hello, I just realized that my current Quicken File only has 79 transactions and the ones before Oct 7, 2021 are not in this file. I do have a backup from Oct 6, 2021 that contains all the previous transactions and I can successfully restore that backup.

How can I join these two Quicken Files? The accounts have not changed in them.Thanks for your help.
Tom J.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    tjordan said:
    Hello, I just realized that my current Quicken File only has 79 transactions and the ones before Oct 7, 2021 are not in this file. I do have a backup from Oct 6, 2021 that contains all the previous transactions and I can successfully restore that backup.

How can I join these two Quicken Files? The accounts have not changed in them.Thanks for your help.
    Tom J.
    Hello @tjordan,     

I am sorry to hear about those missing transactions, although I am happy that a viable backup is available, in this case. Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community about this matter.

It sounds like you could benefit from moving the account information in the restored backup into the original data file via QXF. In order to do that, I would first recommend that you save a backup by going to File > Copy or Save Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Doing this frequently will be helpful in a number of situations. 

Next, follow the steps listed below:
    1. Open the original data file and navigate to the File dropdown menu
    2. Export
    3. Quicken Transfer File (QXF)...
    4. Save the exported file somewhere you can easily locate and recognize it (i.e.: DeskTop)
    5. Navigate back to the File dropdown menu
    6. Open Recent
    7. Select the name of your own data file 
    8. Click Open
    9. Follow the prompts (if any) until your own data file successfully opens
    10. Navigate back to File
    11. Import
    12. Quicken Windows File (QDF, QXF)... (even if you are on Mac)
    13. Select the .QXF file you previously exported
    14. Click Ok once you receive the message saying that the import was successful
    You should be able to see that the accounts successfully transferred over into your original data file once these steps are complete. Note that you will need to reestablish connections for any of these accounts that were setup for automatic downloads. Also, there may be some features that will not import or export, and I will refer you to the support article linked below for more information about this:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-importexport-quicken-transfer-format-qxf-file

I hope that was helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • tjordan
    tjordan Member
    Thanks for the quick reply. Sadly, the instructions didn't work as I had hoped. When the QXF data was imported, all Accounts were duplicated and there were thousands of errors in the log.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited February 14
    tjordan said:
    Thanks for the quick reply. Sadly, the instructions didn't work as I had hoped. When the QXF data was imported, all Accounts were duplicated and there were thousands of errors in the log.

Hello @tjordan,

I am sorry to hear about this development with the duplicate transactions. Thank you for taking the time to keep checking back in with us about this.

Are the accounts in separate files different accounts, or is the same account with the same credentials being operated in two different data files? As far as the duplicate accounts are concerned, you can deactivate the extra accounts by following these steps:
    1. Select the Tools menu and select Account List
    2. In the Account List, select the account for which you want to deactivate online services, and then click Edit
    3. In the Account Details window, click the Online Services tab.
    4. Click Deactivate next to the service you want to disable.
    5. Click Yes to the message asking if you want to disable this service. Note: If you do not receive this message, additional information is available below
      • Direct Connect users: If you are deactivating a Direct Connect account, you may see an additional prompt advising you to contact your bank to cancel the Direct Connect service.

This is only recommended if you intend to deactivate an account permanently and need to contact the bank to stop any related fees.
    6. Click OK to the confirmation message.  
    7. (optional) If you do not intend to reactivate, contact your financial institution to cancel any fees they may charge for access to Quicken online services. Deactivating the account in Quicken will not normally stop the service fee.
    You can then delete the accounts once these steps are complete by right-clicking them in the Account List on the left-hand panel of the Quicken screen and then clicking Edit/Delete Account.

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to corresponding with you further. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.