Fidelity Direct Connect keeps breaking

sleon
sleon Member ✭✭
For the past month, I have had to disconnect my Fidelity accounts in Quicken, then reconnect them, several times, at least twice a week. Sometimes the reconnect sticks for multiple downloads, sometimes I have to disconnect/reconnect download after download. [Removed - Profanity] What's broken? Quicken Windows, R38.3, build 27.1.38.30.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    sleon said:
    For the past month, I have had to disconnect my Fidelity accounts in Quicken, then reconnect them, several times, at least twice a week. Sometimes the reconnect sticks for multiple downloads, sometimes I have to disconnect/reconnect download after download. [Removed - Profanity] What's broken? Quicken Windows, R38.3, build 27.1.38.30.
    Hello @sleon

I am so sorry that you are having this trouble with connections on your accounts. Thank you for taking the chance to reach out to the Quicken Community with regards to this problem.

How often do you save backups? Just for future reference, you can do this anytime by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. If a backup has been saved just prior to the last 30 days - when you first noticed this issue to be occurring - I recommend restoring from a backup by going into the same menu and selecting File > Restore a Backup File

I look forward to hearing more from you, should you have a chance to check back in with us about this issue. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • sleon
    sleon Member ✭✭
    Jared -- this has nothing to do with whether I back up date nor how frequently I back up data -- which happens to take place every day, for reference. Instead, let me be clear, this has everything to do with Quicken connects to Fidelity one day, then fails to connect the next, and this behavior repeats. The workaround is ... I disconnect all the Direct Connects, then I reconnect them, and everything works. Then, a day or two or three later, the Direct Connects fail again. There is no error message, no code to reference. All the while, Quicken correctly connects to other accounts at banks and credit cards. Just Fidelity Direct Connects fail, over and over. What's the problem? What's the permanent fix?
  • Quicken Jared
    sleon said:
    Jared -- this has nothing to do with whether I back up date nor how frequently I back up data -- which happens to take place every day, for reference. Instead, let me be clear, this has everything to do with Quicken connects to Fidelity one day, then fails to connect the next, and this behavior repeats. The workaround is ... I disconnect all the Direct Connects, then I reconnect them, and everything works. Then, a day or two or three later, the Direct Connects fail again. There is no error message, no code to reference. All the while, Quicken correctly connects to other accounts at banks and credit cards. Just Fidelity Direct Connects fail, over and over. What's the problem? What's the permanent fix?
    Hello @sleon

Thank you for reaching out again on the Quicken Community, and I am sorry that the issue is ongoing.

Restoring from a backup is an important step in ruling out potential sources of the problem. It will not be possible to achieve a resolution without first isolating the root cause. In this case, restoring from a backup is one way that we can determine if the difficulties in connectivity may be caused at the server level, or rather have something to do with the data file.

I am not so confident at this point that this is a general problem with connections to Fidelity, as there are no open alerts associated with Fidelity at the moment.

I have to emphasize that without being able to see all relevant information firsthand, I do require some patience as we work through the list of steps necessary to determine the path to a solution. I also appreciate any details that can be provided along the way, as these are extremely valuable, as well.

If the problem persists after restoring from a backup, there is another option in locating the source of the issue. First, save another backup, then go to File > New Quicken File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Be sure to save this file to your desktop, rather than an external drive or cloud-based storage service. After this, attempt to connect your accounts by going to Add Account, denoted by the '+' symbol in the upper left-hand side of the screen. Go through the steps of connecting your account as you normally would. Let me know if you observe the same behavior in this new data file.

I am eager to hear any reply you may be able to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • sleon
    sleon Member ✭✭
    Jared -- I've been traveling. Thank you for patience. I created a new Quicken file, per your instructions. I added the Fidelity accounts. To my amazement, all 16 of the Fidelity accounts downloaded into the new account.
    Which is great, because it points to an error of some kind in my original Q file, but the new file is useless. Because it includes current balances but loses years of transaction and tax data inside the Fidelity accounts. Because it loses years of transactions and tax data in 50+ other accounts that are not Fidelity.
    Again, to be clear, this is progress. But, to be clear, I can't restore the original Q file from a backup, because it backs up every day, automatically, and to my knowledge it keeps only one backup -- and, at the same time, every day, I manually enter cash transactions, or I download bank transactions, or transactions for other accounts. So ... even if I had a backup to restore from, I would lose all the new entries, forcing me to figure out what was lost and forcing me to re-enter that data.
    I've used Quicken since MS-DOS. When I say years of history and data, I mean it.
    So ... how do I import into the new Q file all the data from all the other accounts in the original Q file -- as a workaround? And all the history from the original Q file that might be missing in the Fidelity accounts I just created in the new file?
    Or, how do I import into the original Q file the new Fidelity downloads?
    Or, what do I attempt here, next, to fix the *&^% download problem in the original Q file?
    Is it possible for you and I to schedule a phone/zoom call to work through this? That would go a lot faster than typing messages back and forth across weeks of anger and frustration.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited March 9
    sleon said:
    Jared -- I've been traveling. Thank you for patience. I created a new Quicken file, per your instructions. I added the Fidelity accounts. To my amazement, all 16 of the Fidelity accounts downloaded into the new account.
    Which is great, because it points to an error of some kind in my original Q file, but the new file is useless. Because it includes current balances but loses years of transaction and tax data inside the Fidelity accounts. Because it loses years of transactions and tax data in 50+ other accounts that are not Fidelity.
    Again, to be clear, this is progress. But, to be clear, I can't restore the original Q file from a backup, because it backs up every day, automatically, and to my knowledge it keeps only one backup -- and, at the same time, every day, I manually enter cash transactions, or I download bank transactions, or transactions for other accounts. So ... even if I had a backup to restore from, I would lose all the new entries, forcing me to figure out what was lost and forcing me to re-enter that data.
    I've used Quicken since MS-DOS. When I say years of history and data, I mean it.
    So ... how do I import into the new Q file all the data from all the other accounts in the original Q file -- as a workaround? And all the history from the original Q file that might be missing in the Fidelity accounts I just created in the new file?
    Or, how do I import into the original Q file the new Fidelity downloads?
    Or, what do I attempt here, next, to fix the *&^% download problem in the original Q file?
    Is it possible for you and I to schedule a phone/zoom call to work through this? That would go a lot faster than typing messages back and forth across weeks of anger and frustration.
    Hello @sleon,

I am sorry to hear that the issue is ongoing. Thank you for continuing to follow up with the Quicken Community about this.

Unfortunately, it will not be possible to schedule zoom sessions at this time.

Regarding the moving of information from the old data file into the new, this is possible by copying your data file. First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File, then go back into the same menu and move through the steps provided below:

1. Navigate to File > Copy or Backup File > Create a copy or template
    2. Click Next
    3. Choose Save Copy
    4. Click New Copy
    5. Click OK

Please note: this maneuver will disconnect all online services in the copied file and will require that you sign back in with your QuickenID and associated password. This will be necessary in order to reconnect all accounts for online banking services, Quicken Bill Manager services, and online billing services. An entirely new dataset will also be created.

I hope that is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.