account list in the category list on transactions

Why all of a sudden the account list show up on the category selection drop down for downloaded transactions?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because you can use an account name, enclosed in Square Brackets (e.g. [VISA]) as a category to reflect a transfer, such as your credit card payment, to that account.
    This isn't new.  It's been how transfers are recorded in Q for as long as I can remember.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • CaptSOLAS
    CaptSOLAS Member
    understood, however if you are trying to enter an expense category and the only option are off the [accounts] list with no expense categories available, that is a problem....
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17
    Well now, that's an entirely different issue than you first described.
    Making sure that I understand ... you're trying to input an income or expense transaction and the only choices in the Category drop down are other accounts?
    What type of account are you trying to do this in?  And have you tried Validating your Q data file?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you using USAA?

They have a known bug that they download every transactions with the type “transfer”, Quicken picks up on that and puts TXFR in the check number field.  That in turn locks the category field to only transfer accounts.

If you remove the TXFR from the check number field you will be able to use the regular categories.

Note that if one matches a downloaded transaction to one already in the register, that will override this behavior of putting TXFR in the check number field.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.